Posted to user@ratis.apache.org by Asad Awadia <as...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/26 13:36:42 UTC

Term counter

Hello,

My understanding: The term counter is incremented everytime a new leader is
elected

Question: in the happy path/stable cluster scenario - what is the expected
value of the term? Should it stay relatively static? 1? If it goes up to 50
or 100 is that a sign something is unstable?

Regards,
Asad

Re: Term counter

Posted by Tsz Wo Sze <sz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Asad,

> The term counter is incremented everytime a new leader is elected

More precisely, the (local) term counter is incremented whenever a server
starts a leader election.

> ... what is the expected value of the term? Should it stay relatively
static? ...

The term should be fixed to a particular value if there is no leader
election.  Note that the initial leader election may increment the term
more than one time since the first leader election may not succeed.

> ...  If it goes up to 50 or 100 is that a sign something is unstable?

It does indicate that there are multiple (abnormal) leader elections.  The
cluster health may not be good.  Or the cluster may be too busy, such as
gc, so that the leader becomes too slow to maintain its leadership.
Increasing the rpc timeout (raft.server.rpc.timeout.min) may help in such
cases.

Thanks for your questions.  Hope it helps!
Tsz-Wo