Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by Cezar Andrei <ce...@bea.com> on 2003/10/13 21:13:27 UTC

XPath in XmlBeans

Currently XmlBeans has a limited XPath implementation for things like /a/b/ or //a but more complicated expressions are not supported, so I started looking into solving this problem.

I'm looking at using a complete XPath engine that will work using the XmlCursor interface, so that we will quickly have a complete implementation, for people that need it. Later, if needed we'll probably look into a more store aware XPath engine. Having this in mind my first thought was at using Xalan's XPath engine.

Looking into it I thought that will be easy, I'll have to implement the DTM interface, but later the XPath engine uses org.w3c.dom.Node-s in a few places, and as you probably know XmlBeans doesn't have anything to do with Node, so I couldn't find a way of using it without modifying their sources. For readers of this list, what do you know about Xalan's XPath? What are your experiences with spec completeness and the performance of Xalan's XPath engine?

Google-ing for Xml stores, other than w3c DOM, that uses Xalan for the XPath engine, I found Jaxen http://jaxen.org/, a different XPath engine, that supports different object models. I'll look more into this. I hope there are no licensing issues using it, they say they have an Apache style open source license. Can somebody look at this and let me know if is there any problem using it as a downloadable jar, like the jsr173.jar ?

Cezar

Re: XPath in XmlBeans

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 08:13 PM, Cezar Andrei wrote:

<snip>

> Google-ing for Xml stores, other than w3c DOM, that uses Xalan for the
> XPath engine, I found Jaxen http://jaxen.org/, a different XPath engine,
> that supports different object models. I'll look more into this. I hope
> there are no licensing issues using it, they say they have an Apache
> style open source license. Can somebody look at this and let me know if
> is there any problem using it as a downloadable jar, like the jsr173.jar
> ?

jaxen is run by a load of folks who are pretty well known in jakartaland.
most of the project members are jakarta committers. the license is
apache-style so there should be no problem referencing it.

i suspect that you may have difficulties using this directly since i think
that it's a generic DOM walker with adapters for w3c DOM, dom4j, jdom and
so on. if this is the case, then it'd probably be worth having a word on
the list to see about the possibility of creating an adapter for xml beans.

it might also be possible to use jxpath (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/
jxpath).

of course, i'm not really qualified to comment on xalan or whether it's
better to use something which works on the underlying xml or on the actual
beans (as - i think - jxpath and javen do).

- robert

Re: XPath in XmlBeans

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.