Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kaleb Hosie <kh...@spectraaluminum.com> on 2010/04/19 16:34:41 UTC

Unable to telnet port 783

I'm trying to setup SpamAssassin so that I can use a program called SpamAssassin Coach. This program is a plugin for MS Outlook that allows remote reporting to bayes and lets you mark an email as spam or ham. This is what is in my /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin file:

SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -m5 -H -l -A 10.0.1.0/24"

Here are two outputs that may help:
[root@mailgate2 ~]# telnet 10.0.1.x 783
Trying 10.0.1.x...
telnet: connect to address 10.0.2.15: Connection refused

[root@Mailgate ~]# netstat -lnp | grep spamd
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:783               0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      2332/spamd.pid

Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong?

RE: Unable to telnet port 783

Posted by Gary Smith <ga...@holdstead.com>.
> Here are two outputs that may help:
> [root@mailgate2 ~]# telnet 10.0.1.x 783
> Trying 10.0.1.x...
> telnet: connect to address 10.0.2.15: Connection refused
>
> [root@Mailgate ~]# netstat -lnp | grep spamd
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:783               0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN      2332/spamd.pid
>
> Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong?

Firewall maybe?  iptables-save...

RE: Unable to telnet port 783

Posted by Kaleb Hosie <kh...@spectraaluminum.com>.
> The service is listen in loopback interface, try add a new argument :
>
> --listen-ip=10.0.1.x

That fixed it. Thank you for the help!

Re: Unable to telnet port 783

Posted by Cesar Garcia <sp...@descom.es>.

Re: Unable to telnet port 783

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
Kaleb Hosie wrote:

> I'm trying to setup SpamAssassin so that I can use a program called
> SpamAssassin Coach. This program is a plugin for MS Outlook that allows
> remote reporting to bayes and lets you mark an email as spam or ham.
> This is what is in my /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin file:
>
> SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -m5 -H -l -A 10.0.1.0/24"
>
> Here are two outputs that may help:
> [root@mailgate2 ~]# telnet 10.0.1.x 783
> Trying 10.0.1.x...
> telnet: connect to address 10.0.2.15: Connection refused
>
> [root@Mailgate ~]# netstat -lnp | grep spamd
> tcp  0      0 127.0.0.1:783  0.0.0.0:*  LISTEN  2332/spamd.pid
>
> Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong?

Your spamd is bound to a loopback interface,
yet you are trying to connect to it over an ethernet interface.

  Mark

Re: Unable to telnet port 783

Posted by David Michaels <mi...@ucrwcu.rwc.uc.edu>.
Quoting "Kaleb Hosie" <kh...@spectraaluminum.com>:

> I'm trying to setup SpamAssassin so that I can use a program called
> SpamAssassin Coach. This program is a plugin for MS Outlook that
> allows remote reporting to bayes and lets you mark an email as spam
> or ham. This is what is in my /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin file:
>
> SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -m5 -H -l -A 10.0.1.0/24"
>
> Here are two outputs that may help:
> [root@mailgate2 ~]# telnet 10.0.1.x 783
> Trying 10.0.1.x...
> telnet: connect to address 10.0.2.15: Connection refused
>
> [root@Mailgate ~]# netstat -lnp | grep spamd
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:783               0.0.0.0:*
>        LISTEN      2332/spamd.pid
>
> Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong?

iptables?