Posted to wsif-dev@ws.apache.org by Shantanu Sen <ss...@pacbell.net> on 2005/06/09 01:30:15 UTC

Questions related to complex types

I asked a similar question earlier but got no reply,
so I'll try again.

Taking the EJB sample, the Run.java has code that maps
the types to specific java classes:

service.mapType(new
QName("http://wsiftypes.addressbook/","Phone"),

Class.forName("ejb.service.addressbook.wsiftypes.Phone"));

For this, the WSDL needs to be run through WSDL2Java
and the mapped java classes (Phone in this case) need
to be generated.

But currently, if the mapping is anything other that
SOAP, none of the WSDL2Java tools that I know of
(Axis, WebSphere 5.1.x etc) will work.

Is this a feature that is "still to be implemented" in
WSIF?

Clearly, the suggested approach of "using a WSDL with
a SOAP binding and then keeping the generated java
classes and deleting the rest" as suggested in the
samples will not work in a production env. So, people
who are planning to use WSIF seriously - are they
supposed to come up with their own implementation of
the WSDL2Java?

Thanks for any reply.
Shantanu Sen

Re: Questions related to complex types

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Shantanu Sen wrote:

>I asked a similar question earlier but got no reply,
>so I'll try again.
>
>Taking the EJB sample, the Run.java has code that maps
>the types to specific java classes:
>
>service.mapType(new
>QName("http://wsiftypes.addressbook/","Phone"),
>
>Class.forName("ejb.service.addressbook.wsiftypes.Phone"));
>
>For this, the WSDL needs to be run through WSDL2Java
>and the mapped java classes (Phone in this case) need
>to be generated.
>
>But currently, if the mapping is anything other that
>SOAP, none of the WSDL2Java tools that I know of
>(Axis, WebSphere 5.1.x etc) will work.
>
>Is this a feature that is "still to be implemented" in
>WSIF?
>
>Clearly, the suggested approach of "using a WSDL with
>a SOAP binding and then keeping the generated java
>classes and deleting the rest" as suggested in the
>samples will not work in a production env. So, people
>who are planning to use WSIF seriously - are they
>supposed to come up with their own implementation of
>the WSDL2Java?

hi,

the perfect solution would be to have orthogonal data binding capability
so multiple data bindings could be used (or none if you want to work
with XML directly). however as you noticed WSIF2 has problems in this
area and there is no easy solution AFAIK ...

i think that the first step would be to allow to send and receive XML
representing data (such as Phone) directly in DOM (or in any other
DOM-like Java API such as JDOM, DOM4J etc). then you any part of such
DOM could be bound to Java specific classes (like Phone.java) or not
bound at all. however that is quite a bit of work as we have providers
that make assumption you send Java types (like localjava, EJB) and not
XML Infoset ....

thanks,

alek

Re: Questions related to complex types