Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Bruce McHaffie <br...@entrust.com> on 2004/03/09 16:23:26 UTC

Chunked upload through SunONE proxy server

Hi, I'm using httpclient to do large file uploads. It works just fine
through a direct connection to the LAN but when I go through iPlanet Web
Proxy Server (3.6) the POST is forwarded to the target host with no body. So
the message inbound to the web server (outbound from the proxy server) is:

POST /fileupload/chunkyserver HTTP/1.1
Host: apollo.est.com
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Forwarded: by http://bmchaff.est.com:8082 (iPlanet-Web-Proxy-Server/3.6)

...so I tried SunONE Web Proxy server 3.6 SP4, which is supposed to have
support for Transfer-Encoding="chunked". But it chokes on the chunked post.
The error message is:

"[08/Mar/2004:15:42:18] info: Unable to launch the thread... Exception Code:
-1073741819"

For non-chunked POSTS and for GETS everything is fine. Is there something I
have to set in the header to make it work or am I just wasting my time
trying to do chunking through proxies? Anyone know of proxies that
definitely support Transfer-Encoding="chunked" for upload?

Bruce.

Re: Chunked upload through SunONE proxy server

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Bruce,
Chunk encoding is a feature introduced in the version 1.1 of the HTTP
specification. Older HTTP/1.0 proxies _may_ have various issues with
chunk-encoded content.

If iPlanet proxy is not HTTP/1.1 compliant, there's not much you can do.
I doubt that any special headers are required besides Transfer-Encoding
if the proxy is HTTP/1.1 compliant.

I believe Squid proxy, even though not being fully HTTP/1.1 compliant,
can handle chunk-encoded content. Please refer to the Squid resources
for a more definitive answer, though.

Oleg