Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Vaigl, James @ AS" <Ja...@L-3com.com> on 2004/12/08 23:01:06 UTC

Windows build problem

Hi All,

I'm trying to build 1.1.1, server and client, in Windows with
Apache 2.0.52, using Visual Studio + the most recent SDK update.
I want to use FSFS, not BDB.  Following the note in section I.5
("If you will only use the fsfs repository filesystem, or if you
are building a Subversion client that will only speak to remote
(networked) repositories, you don't need it."). I didn't bother
to download it; I prefer to NOT have it around so I can be sure
nothing is referring to it.

When I follow the instructions in Section E in INSTALL
($LastChangedDate: 2004-09-14), when I get down to  building
Apache, there's bit (in E.4) about "python gen-make.py..."
that includes "--with-berkeley..."

It looks like if I were building on Unix, I'd run configure
with --without-berkeley-bdb, but gen-make.py doesn't know
what that means.  If I just leave off the two berkeley things,
i.e., run this...

    (extra line breaks added for email readability...)
     C:\svn\src-trunk>python gen-make.py -t dsp
           --with-httpd=..\httpd-2.0.52
           --with-openssl=..\openssl-0.9.7d
           --with-zlib=..\zlib
           --enable-nls

...then Apache builds fine, but when I get down to building
subversion, this fails:

  C:\svn\src-trunk>msdev subversion_msvc.dsw /USEENV
       /MAKE "__ALL_TESTS__ - Win32 Release"
  [...lots of successful build output...]
  -----------Configuration: mod_dav_svn - Win32 Release-----------
  [...]
  Linking...
  LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file "libdb42.lib"
  Error executing link.exe.

I tried to just edit the project file to remove the reference to
the library, but then I get unresolved externals.  Then I tried
to remove the libsvn_fs_base project from the workspace, since
it explicitly calls out bdb code, but then I fail because the
svn_fs_base__init() routine is missing:

    Linking...
       Creating library
               ..\..\..\Release\subversion\mod_dav_svn/mod_dav_svn.lib
       and object
             ..\..\..\Release\subversion\mod_dav_svn/mod_dav_svn.exp
    libsvn_fs-1.lib(fs-loader.obj) :
    error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _svn_fs_base__init
     ..\..\..\Release\subversion\mod_dav_svn\mod_dav_svn.so : fatal error

Are the instructions wrong in that I *NEED* bdb to build even if
I don't want to run with it?

I've killed several days trying vc6-build.bat, Cygwin, and now the
detailed manual instructions.  I'd like to understand what's wrong
with the detailed instructions (or my following of them) for now.

Any help greatly appreciated.

--Jim

Re: Windows build problem

Posted by Stefan <st...@gmx.ch>.
Branko Čibej wrote:
> Vaigl, James @ AS wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm trying to build 1.1.1, server and client, in Windows with
>> Apache 2.0.52, using Visual Studio + the most recent SDK update.
>> I want to use FSFS, not BDB.  Following the note in section I.5
>> ("If you will only use the fsfs repository filesystem, or if you
>> are building a Subversion client that will only speak to remote
>> (networked) repositories, you don't need it."). I didn't bother
>> to download it; I prefer to NOT have it around so I can be sure
>> nothing is referring to it.
>>

> That note is valid for Unix. On Windows, we don't support a client-only
> build, so I'm afraid you'll have to link in BDB. But why don't you just
> use the compiled binaries on subversion.tigris.org? I can guarantee they
> work. :-)

That's not 100% true ;)
You _can_ compile the Subversion libs without BDB if you really want,
but you have to manually edit the config file (svn_private_config.h) and
remove some defines there.
The build then will throw a lot of compile errors for those libs which
require BDB, but the ones who don't will compile fine.
TSVN does that for its shell extension part which only links against the
'basic' libraries like libsvn_wc, libsvn_subr, ...

Stefan

Re: Windows build problem

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Vaigl, James @ AS wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm trying to build 1.1.1, server and client, in Windows with
>Apache 2.0.52, using Visual Studio + the most recent SDK update.
>I want to use FSFS, not BDB.  Following the note in section I.5
>("If you will only use the fsfs repository filesystem, or if you
>are building a Subversion client that will only speak to remote
>(networked) repositories, you don't need it."). I didn't bother
>to download it; I prefer to NOT have it around so I can be sure
>nothing is referring to it.

That note is valid for Unix. On Windows, we don't support a client-only
build, so I'm afraid you'll have to link in BDB. But why don't you just
use the compiled binaries on subversion.tigris.org? I can guarantee they
work. :-)

-- Brane