Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by john foley <di...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/29 16:35:07 UTC

crashing

I've been using Open Office with no problem for a while but recently I've
been having a problem.  The document opens and I'm able to scroll down for
a half-page before the program freezes.  The recovery process seems to work
but the program freezes again at about the same point in the process.  I've
tried sending error reports with no results.  Thank you, John Foley

Re: crashing

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Sometimes, new versions change slightly the way configuration files are handled. It can lead to inconsistencies that are fixed by a brand new profile.

It's quite difficult to investigate (there are so much configuration files). It is possible by putting files from the former profile into the new one and see when the problem occurs. But well, once it's fixed by the profile reset, why bother? Devs could do that but perhaps they don't face such troubles.

So the first step worth a try is indeed to reset the profile: http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426

Hagar

Re: crashing

Posted by Laura Neimark-gizara <ll...@ymail.com>.
I am supposed to be deleted stop sending me stuff!!!!!!!

Laura Neimark-Gizara, LCSW
(530) 416-9444
(541) 306-3710
http://lauratherapy.vpweb.com

________________________________
> Hi, I'm having the same problem since updating to v3.4.1.  I read a
> thread on this forum over the weekend suggesting that it could be caused
> by a corrupted user profile.
>
> I am sure that it is because of the recent update.  I did not upgrade
> until v3.4.1 was available so went from v3.3 straight to v3.4.1 although
> I don't see why this should have corrupted my user profile.
>
> Regards
>
> Geoffrey Williams
>
> -----Original Message----- From: john foley
> Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 3:35 PM
> To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: crashing
>
> I've been using Open Office with no problem for a while but recently I've
> been having a problem.  The document opens and I'm able to scroll down for
> a half-page before the program freezes.  The recovery process seems to work
> but the program freezes again at about the same point in the process.  I've
> tried sending error reports with no results.  Thank you, John Foley

Gentlemen;

To further explain the issue; Please read the Release Notes:
http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/3.4.1.html#AOO3.4.1ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues

Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 manage the user profile differently than previous versions. The old user profile is automatically converted so that users can keep their extensions and settings. In a minority of cases, especially with highly customized profiles (many extensions or customizations) the conversion doesn't succeed. Common symptoms are: frequent application crashes, problems with dictionaries or thesaurus, OpenOffice starting and crashing after a few seconds. To solve this, just reset/rename your user profile as explained in the official OpenOffice forum. http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426

Regards
Keith McKenna

Re: crashing

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.