Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2006/02/14 08:35:33 UTC

Ode Proposal

Ok.  Here's the proposal http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OdeProposal.
Please feel free to comment.

Bill Flood, can you provide us with the list of Sybase developers that
wish to work on this project?  Can you get the Software Grant paperwork
faxed in?

Any other ASF committers want to jump in?

We need some more mentors.  Anyone?

This is not meant to stop discussions about this donation, just to start
the bureaucratic machinery while they take place.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Ode Proposal (Sybase BPEL engine donation))

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 15 Feb 2006, at 16:31, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 15:56 +0000, James Strachan wrote:
>> Dims & Sanjiva
>>
>> Given your arguments that the Sybase BPEL donation should be in a new
>> podling rather than part of ServiceMix - I wonder if you'd like to
>> join us in the ODE proposal then we can have a united Apache
>> community with folks from Agila, Geronimo, ServiceMix, & WS involved
>> to insure plenty of cross pollination.
>
> Wow I feel "special" to get asked liked this ;-).
>
> I was going to ask to join anyway .. so I'll be happy to.

Great! :)

> However, I
> would like to request some changes:
>
> - Under warning signs, in the "Homogenous developers" category it
> lists
> developers from Sybase, IBM & LogicBlaze. Is it the case that the
> *current* codebase has contribs from all these companies? If not I
> believe the spirit of the question is about the current codebase, not
> about the group that'll get it thru incubation. So please indicate who
> wrote the current codebase (which I believe is all Synbase).

Good point - fixed.

> - The initial committers list is very long. I'm on service-mix dev
> and I
> see only 2-3 people committing

Have you tried looking at the SVN logs? The codebase has only been in
the incubator for 2 months and 12 folks have been hacking the code
furiously (and we're still waiting for karma for a couple more
committers).

> (and little or no discussion; am I
> missing some stuff??).

Maybe you're email filters are hiding email? There's a fair amount of
discussion...
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-servicemix-dev/
200602.mbox/thread
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-servicemix-dev/
200601.mbox/thread
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-servicemix-dev/
200512.mbox/thread

There's plenty of background chatter on IRC too if you need more chat
(though important decisions and votes always take place via email)

> Can we try to list people who are really going to
> write code for this? It doesn't make sense to list *23* committers
> unless they will really write code.

They will.

> We can always bring people on board
> as they start contributing. If all these people are really so hot to
> mess with a BPEL impl, damn, I should feel really good about BPEL ;-).

You should as they are. The people listed who are servicemix
committers have committed substantial code already to ServiceMix and
are keen to work on the integration of BPEL + ServiceMix along with
enhancing the core BPEL engine (such as the management & persistence
piece). The Sybase folks wrote the original code and the Agila
committer is the guy who wrote all the BPEL code in Agila - so far
I'm happy with the committer list.

> - Given the, um, strong feelings expressed by so many people about
> this
> project, how about if we get the Incubator PMC to sponsor this
> poddling?

Why does the sponsor PMC make any difference to whether the BPEL
engine goes top level or not? e.g. Tuscany is sponsored by WS and is
gonna be a TLP?

Given the Geronimo PMC did vote to accept the patch into ServiceMix
(though given the general sentiment to use a separate podling we've
backed off), we'd rather stick to the same sponsor PMC for the moment.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Ode Proposal (Sybase BPEL engine donation))

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 2/15/06, Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> wrote:

> A number of folks here in the Incubator believe it is best to
> establish a community with no prior ties, and have repeated that on a
> number of occasions (including Sanjiva's and Noel's comments today).
> The general belief is that this will create a better community around
> the ASF's BPEL work.

Greg, I'm trying to understand the statements above. The more I read
them the more it seems that the Incubator PMC can decide what's best
for a proposal at any given time including making decisions about the
oversight. Are there documents about this topic on the Incubator site
that I've missed? I truly want to understand this and I'd appreciate
any further explanation or identification of any documents that
clarifies this issue.

> Part of the problem that I'm seeing is you use of "we" in your
> message. Who is "we"? And that leads to, who is "not we"? Why is there
> a partition? I believe this is one of the primary issues that is being
> dealt with right now, Dain. You are dividing BPEL workers into a "we"
> and "others" camp.
>
> Or, let's just say that was a random term to refer to the Geronimo
> project and you're not really seeing two groups. i.e. not fair of me
> to assign that way of thinking to you. Okay. So moving on: why is it
> important for this to be Geronimo sponsored? Why? Seriously. WTF does
> it matter?
>
> We've already said the IP clearance paperwork is the same no matter
> what. Great. Get that done and start working. When BPEL is ready to
> graduate, then we look at where it goes. Quite possibly Geronimo. But
> what does it matter that Geronimo is the sponsor? Why are you so keyed
> in on that?
>
> I can clearly see benefits with "absence of ties". I don't see the
> benefit of Geronimo sponsoring that you're seeing. And without that
> understanding, then I get to make up crazy reasons :-P

And the statements above aren't helping me understand this any
further. Can you help clarify this for me please?

Bruce
);'

Apache Geronimo (http://geronimo.apache.org/)

Castor (http://castor.org/)

Re: Ode Proposal (Sybase BPEL engine donation))

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
I guess I was just reacting to the complete dismissal by Noel.  In
the middle of a vote on the Geronimo PMC, we get a message that
effectively the Incubator has stepped in and has take over this
proposal.  Now, stop and wait before responding to that statement and
let me explain.  The normal process, as I understand it, for a new
podling is a proposal is posted to a some dev list saying, "I'd like
to start a project in the incubator to create X, are you willing to
sponsor it?"  The PMC evaluates it and votes.  This normal process
was interrupted by Noel simply stating that the Incubator has decided
to sponsor it.  There was no public discussion and this proposal was
never even presented to the Incubator PMC for sponsorship.  I have
never seen this happen before and it came with a very dismissive note
(my reading).

I find it very frustrating that in my mind the policies and
procedures in the incubator keep changing.  When I point this out I
get accused of various things such as "protecting turf".  Greg, I can
understand why you see it that way, but I am simply trying to follow
policy, precedent and the Apache Way.  Anyway, no need to respond,
I'm just frustrated.

I'm going to try to stay out of the rest of this discussion, but
before I go, I suggest that ALL of you go back to your open source
roots and reexamine this whole situation.  There are a very few
people in this discussion that actually want to work on a BPEL engine
or integrate it into a project.  If your not one of them, take a step
back and let the community decide how they want to handle the code.
If the want to work together, we should support them.  If the don't
want to work together and decide to fork it into three competing
projects, we should support them.  If they want to hard code in
dependencies on any technology, we should support them.  If they want
to rewrite it in COBOL, we should support them.  They are the
community and we should support them.

-dain

/me crawls back under his flame proof rock

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Makes since.  Thanks for spending the time to explain this to me.
This really helps.

Thanks,

-dain

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Dain,

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Sanjiva,

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Sanjiva,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 15:56 +0000, James Strachan wrote:
> Dims & Sanjiva
>
> Given your arguments that the Sybase BPEL donation should be in a new
> podling rather than part of ServiceMix - I wonder if you'd like to
> join us in the ODE proposal then we can have a united Apache
> community with folks from Agila, Geronimo, ServiceMix, & WS involved
> to insure plenty of cross pollination.

Wow I feel "special" to get asked liked this ;-).

I was going to ask to join anyway .. so I'll be happy to. However, I
would like to request some changes:

- Under warning signs, in the "Homogenous developers" category it lists
developers from Sybase, IBM & LogicBlaze. Is it the case that the
*current* codebase has contribs from all these companies? If not I
believe the spirit of the question is about the current codebase, not
about the group that'll get it thru incubation. So please indicate who
wrote the current codebase (which I believe is all Synbase).

- The initial committers list is very long. I'm on service-mix dev and I
see only 2-3 people committing (and little or no discussion; am I
missing some stuff??). Can we try to list people who are really going to
write code for this? It doesn't make sense to list *23* committers
unless they will really write code. We can always bring people on board
as they start contributing. If all these people are really so hot to
mess with a BPEL impl, damn, I should feel really good about BPEL ;-).

- Given the, um, strong feelings expressed by so many people about this
project, how about if we get the Incubator PMC to sponsor this poddling?
I'm a member of that PMC and I'll be happy to do it. That allows the
poddling to decide, upon graduation, its final resting place: Geronimo,
new TLP or elsewhere. (NO, I'm not even suggesting it go to WS .. as I
said earlier, WS is too damned crowded already.) I see *nothing* to be
gained by saying its going to be part of Geronimo at this point; so you
see my bias already: go for its own TLP. However, if that appears to be
the right thing upon graduation, then so be it.

Note that this does not preclude ServiceMix, or *anyone else* from
embracing and extending Apache Ode and living happily ever after. In
fact, its *much better* for Apache Ode to be on its own because then its
likely to be pluggable to more container frameworks and not just
Geronimo/ServiceMix.

Bye,

Sanjiva.

Re: Ode Proposal (Sybase BPEL engine donation))

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 15 Feb 2006, at 16:54, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> James,
>
> Thanks for taking the first step. Yes, please add me in as a mentor.
> Here's some feedback first about the proposal before we take the next
> step.
>
> - AFAIK, Geronimo PMC has not voted on this proposal.

We kinda voted already on G-PMC but the new proposal changes things
slightly (being a new podling) so to clear things up I've called
another vote.

> - Can we please put out a call to other Open source BPEL engines to
> join us with their contributions? (ala, Synapse).

Sure, we're open to other contributions and contributors from
wherever; they can arrive at any time - lets starting incubating

> - Can we please add people in a phased manner as committers? based on
> their patches/energy on the list? (ala, Harmony)

All the folks on the committer list are folks who've expressed
interest in working on the code. The only non-apache committers so
far are the Sybase folks who've written all the code being
contributed; the rest are already proven committers in Agila,
Geronimo or ServiceMix

James
-------

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
James,

Thanks for taking the first step. Yes, please add me in as a mentor.
Here's some feedback first about the proposal before we take the next
step.

- AFAIK, Geronimo PMC has not voted on this proposal. So can we please
get Incubator PMC to sponsor this?
- Can we please put out a call to other Open source BPEL engines to
join us with their contributions? (ala, Synapse).
- Can we please add people in a phased manner as committers? based on
their patches/energy on the list? (ala, Harmony)

Thanks,
dims

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
James,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Dims & Sanjiva

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Dims & Sanjiva

Re: Incubator Marker [was Re: Ode Proposal]

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gu...@worldonline.fr>.
It seems that it has been the common practive for incubating subprojects
(not TLP)
until this vote
http://www.mail-archive.com/general%40incubator.apache.org/msg05956.html.

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Bill Flood <bi...@gmail.com>.
Alan, the Sybase developers that will work on this project are

Lance Waterman     lance_lw@yahoo.com
Cory Harper             cory.harper@gmail.com
John Childs             John.childs@sybase.com
Jan-Hua Chu            jchu@sybase.com
Sandip Ghayal         sghayal@sybase.com

Bill

RE: Mentors, PMC, and oversight.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> IMHO, there should probably be a max number of concurrent
> projects that one can be a mentor for. This would lead to
> a whole set of derived effects

>  * Projects that turns inactive/dormant will be 'terminated'
>    by the mentors, as they may want to help out other
>    projects instead.

Or could be prematurely terminated if the mentors preferred to work on some
other project.

>  * Potential Mentors may be a bit more selective and do more
>    evaluation of the situation before accepting Mentorship.

But is that notion of selective beneficial?

>  * As the most "active Mentors" get filled up, the circle of
>    willing Mentors need to be expanded, and people putting
>    together proposals have to actively persuade "fresh blood"
>    to help out.

We are always encouraging new people to sign up.  The current number of
Incubator PMC members is 41, of which 7 have been added this year alone.

> I have no opinion of "how many" is a good [max number of projects]

I don't believe that there is any such good number.  The question is whether
or not a Mentors has the time, energy, and ability to perform the job.  It
seems to me that such would vary greatly both with the demands of any given
podling, and other demands placed upon each Mentor.  But this is another
reason for why we want multiple Mentors.  Alex Karasulu set a nice example
recently, when he indicated that he was having difficulty meeting his
Mentoring responsibilities, and asked for others to volunteer as Mentors to
help out.  And he was mentoring just one podling, so no such numeric rule
would have helped.

Personally, I favor fewer rules, and empowering trusted people to make human
decisions, rather than taking decisions from their hands.

	--- Noel

Re: Mentors, PMC, and oversight.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 19 February 2006 02:24, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Sure, the entire PMC has a
> binding over over the entire Incubator, but no one can watch every project.
> So we need the Mentors to be active in the community.

IMHO, there should probably be a max number of concurrent projects that one
can be a mentor for. This would lead to a whole set of derived effects;

 * Projects that turns inactive/dormant will be 'terminated' by the mentors,
   as they may want to help out other projects instead.

 * Potential Mentors may be a bit more selective and do more evaluation of the
   situation before accepting Mentorship.

 * As the most "active Mentors" get filled up, the circle of willing Mentors
   need to be expanded, and people putting together proposals have to actively
   persuade "fresh blood" to help out.

I have no opinion of "how many" is a good number.

WDYT?

Cheers
Niclas

RE: Mentors, PMC, and oversight.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > The role of Mentor is an Incubator specific notion, having no
> > existence in the ASF legal structure.  Members, Officers and
> > PMC Members, on the other hand, do.
> >
> > The Incubator PMC needs to maintain legal oversight over all of
> > its constituent projects, and as the Incubator grows, it becomes
> > vital that we be able to scale that oversight.  This is, in part,
> > why I have been pushing to have at least three Mentors per project.
> > Sure, the entire PMC has a binding over over the entire Incubator,
> > but no one can watch every project.  So we need the Mentors to be
> > active in the community.  Not only are they there to provide
> > guidance, but to provide oversight.  Only PMC members have binding
> > votes, as per the ASF bylaws, so Mentors need to be on the PMC in
> > order to have that binding vote.
> >
> > So really. a Mentor is a PMC member who is choosing to be active
> > and help in guiding the community.

> Thanks for the clarification.  Should I update
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html

Well, we've needed to do some updating, but I've just posted "Incubator
Roles revisited", so we'll see what discussion falls out of it.

	--- Noel

Re: Mentors, PMC, and oversight.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On 2/18/2006 10:24 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>

>>Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>

>>>[X] is on the Incubator PMC, so he's on the Ode PPMC, and has
>>>chosen to actively participate.  ASF Members are automatically
>>>eligible for he PMC, others [can be] elected.
>>>

>>Does this also specifically also apply to the role of Mentor?
>>

>The role of Mentor is an Incubator specific notion, having no existence in
>the ASF legal structure.  Members, Officers and PMC Members, on the other
>hand, do.
>
>The Incubator PMC needs to maintain legal oversight over all of its
>constituent projects, and as the Incubator grows, it becomes vital that we
>be able to scale that oversight.  This is, in part, why I have been pushing
>to have at least three Mentors per project.  Sure, the entire PMC has a
>binding over over the entire Incubator, but no one can watch every project.
>So we need the Mentors to be active in the community.  Not only are they
>there to provide guidance, but to provide oversight.  Only PMC members have
>binding votes, as per the ASF bylaws, so Mentors need to be on the PMC in
>order to have that binding vote.
>
>So really. a Mentor is a PMC member who is choosing to be active and help in
>guiding the community.

Thanks for the clarification.  Should I update

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html

to reflect this change?

Regards,
Alan

Mentors, PMC, and oversight.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

RE: Ode Proposal

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Folks

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Paul Brown <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Welcome aboard!

Regards,
Alan

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Alan

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Bill Flood <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Bill Flood <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Bill Flood <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Bill Flood <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Bill Flood <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
The Geronimo PMC needs to vote on sponsoring this.

Before you do that, just to start the discussion :

- Why would the Geronimo PMC sponsor this?
- Isn't BPEL a bit far afield from J2EE, which is our charter as a PMC?
- How about bringing it to Agila, which already has a good start on BPEL
and workflow, and take the best from the Sybase contribution and the
best from Twister and combine?

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Dims & Sanjiva

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
There is a chicken-egg problem here - I'm afraid that would make some
people unable to look at it.

I can understand not wanting to go through the pain of changing
namespace until needed, but can it be made available under the Apache
License (or another open source license of your choosing) for evaluation
purposes?

While you ponder that, can the evaluation license under which the
software is currently being offered be placed somewhere so we at least
know the terms before downloading?

geir

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Bill Flood <bi...@gmail.com>.
The license is in the tarball and/or you can see it directly at
ftp://ftp.sybase.com/pub/incoming/wcss/bpe/SourceCodeEvaluationAgreement.txtwithout
dowloading the tarball.

Re: Ode Proposal

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by cory <co...@gmail.com>.
The license is  in the tarball.  I've also put it at:

ftp://ftp.sybase.com/pub/incoming/wcss/bpe/

-cory

Re: Ode Proposal

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
Thanks Bill,

I've downloaded the tarball, though I probably won't have a chance to dig
into this until this evening.

Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      Bill Flood
                      <bill.f.flood@gma        To:       dev@geronimo.apache.org, geir@pobox.com
                      il.com>                  cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: Ode Proposal
                      02/14/2006 11:10
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      dev

  dev@geronimo.apache.org
  >                       mail.com>                cc:
  general@incubator.apache.org, servicemix-dev@geronimo.apache.org
  >                                                Subject:  Re: Ode
  Proposal

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Bill Flood <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gu...@worldonline.fr>.
See
http://www.mail-archive.com/servicemix-dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg00030.html

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 14 Feb 2006, at 15:03, ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com wrote:
> Allan,
>
> This proposal appears to be gear towards the web services/SOA
> community.
> Is support for orchestration of non-WS business processes
> considered out of
> scope for Ode?

No - the code should be reusable for most orchestration needs; even
in cases where there are no pointy brackets involved :).

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Ode Proposal

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
Allan,

This proposal appears to be gear towards the web services/SOA community.
Is support for orchestration of non-WS business processes considered out of
scope for Ode?

Thanks,
Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      "Alan D. Cabrera"
                      <list@toolazydogs        To:       dev@geronimo.apache.org, general@incubator.apache.org,
                      .com>                     servicemix-dev@geronimo.apache.org
                                               cc:
                      02/14/2006 02:35         Subject:  Ode Proposal
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      dev