Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2009/02/03 23:41:32 UTC

Re: Should I extend DIH to handle POST too?

: I guess I got the wrong impression initially.  These classes extend the
: RequestHandlerBase.

your confusion is totally understandable, and stemms from some confusion
legacy naming convention.  there is an "UpdateHandler" API which
is a low level API for dictating how changes are made to the underlying
IndexWriter -- there is *NO* reason for anyone to ever do anything
with this API (in my opinion)

there is also a "SolrRequestHandler" which dictates how Solr deals with
external requests, and what kind of input parsing it does.  Some of these
Request Handlers are designed for making "Updates" and many people (who
aren't even aware of the "UpdateHandler" API mentioned above) informally
refer to them as "Update Handlers" ... hence a lot of confusion.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPlugins

-Hoss