Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by John Green <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/16 02:58:06 UTC

YTEX semantic similarity concept graph questions

Hope this finds everyone well.

It is not immediately clear to me why

        select distinct cui1, cui2
        from umls.MRREL
        where sab in ('SNOMEDCT')
        and rel in ('PAR')
        order by cui1, cui2

would only be selecting the relationship (REL) of PAR. Im not sure the
selection criteria. This is honestly probably directed mostly at Vijay, but
anyone else with experience in this domain would be a welcome voice. In the
paper on YTEX, for instance, PAR and RB are chosen for UMLS. Why? Does this
have to do with the "flattening" or "orphaning" that UMLS does to the
vocabularies it includes? Why not PAR, RB, and RN? Why not more? Was this a
computational (speed/memory) consideration, or a functional one that my
lack of familiarity to the domain is keeping me from seeing.

Im posting this fairly specific question to the Dev because it directly
relates to building YTEX concept graphs, which is a functionality of our
distro here.

Best!
JG

Re: YTEX semantic similarity concept graph questions

Posted by John Green <jo...@gmail.com>.
That does, thank you, as always.

One other question: Your docs say it should take around an hour and a half
at 8g of ram for the umls... my times are turning out significantly lower
(3-5 minutes)... the *.gz output seems to be on an order of magnitude with
the included compressed concept graphs and queries seem to run OK, but it
makes me a little nervous that it is processing it that fast. Should I be
worried?

Thanks,
JG

Posted by vijay garla <vn...@gmail.com>.