Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Andrew Moores <a....@gmail.com> on 2011/04/08 19:12:30 UTC

Smoke Test

Hi

I've just built from source and created a new app following the instructions on the quick start page (http://incubator.apache.org/isis/quickstart-app.html).  I don't see how this is testing what I've just built?  Did it create the new app using the artifacts installed into my local repos when I built from source? (Maybe, this more of a Maven question).

Thanks
Andrew

Re: Smoke Test

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,
I'm just a little suspicious about whether you are actually picking up a
locally built archetype or not.    Since I haven't yet uploaded the
updated version of the archetype to the snapshot repo, there's one quick
way to find out: does the following command:

mvn antrun:run -D exec=dnd

run up the DnD viewer when executed from the root project of your
generated project?  If so, then I guess everything is fine.  If not,
then I suspect you are still working with the archetype downloaded from
the Apache snapshot repo.

Just checking the mvn documentation [1], it looks like a slightly
shorter way of forcing mvn archetype:generate to pick up from your local
repo would be to use:

     mvn archetype:generate \
             -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.isis.support \
             -DarchetypeArtifactId=quickstart-archetype \
             -DarchetypeVersion=0.1.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT \
             -DarchetypeCatalog=internal

I must admit that I did think that the archetypeVersion wouldn't be
needed because mvn defaults to the latest, and the archetypeCatalog also
would not be needed because it defaults to remote,local but would then
fall back to using your internal catalogue since the archetype is not in
remote's catalog (see [1]).  But, whatever, if it's working for you,
then that's good enough I guess.

Cheers
Dan

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/archetype/maven-archetype-plugin/generate-mojo.html

Re: Smoke Test

Posted by Andrew Moores <a....@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan

So, I cleared out my local repos and started from scratch following your updates.  After building a new local copy of Isis and generating the archetype I ran Maven in offline mode and created a new application.  I could then run the DnD viewer, using mvn antrun:run -D exec=dnd, in the root of my new project.

I still had to specify the archetypeVersion but now there's a note on the site it shouldn't trip anyone up in future ;-).

Thanks for helping me through the process.

Regards
Andrew

Re: Smoke Test

Posted by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com>.