Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by David Mackey <da...@davemackey.net> on 2023/05/15 20:03:37 UTC

Apache Projects and Discussion Forums

Hi All,

At yesterday's meeting I suggested that discussion forums might be useful
for managing tension in communications and increasing the visibility /
popularity of the Solr project. At the time this didn't seem viable due to
the centrality of mailing lists to ASF's communications but Eric suggested
that if other projects where using forums that Solr could as well.

*(ASF Projects Using Discussion Forums)*
I did some research and discovered that a number of ASF projects are using
forums:

   - Airflow <https://airflow.apache.org/community/>, Pulsar
   <https://github.com/apache/pulsar/discussions>, RocketMQ
   <https://github.com/apache/rocketmq>, ShardingSphere
   <https://github.com/apache/shardingsphere>, StreamPipes
   <https://github.com/apache/streampipes>, and Doris
   <https://github.com/apache/doris> are all using GitHub Discussions
   <https://github.com/apache/airflow/discussions>.
   - TVM <https://tvm.apache.org/> uses Discourse
   <https://discuss.tvm.apache.org/>.
   - OpenOffice.org <http://openoffice.org/> uses phpBB
   <https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/index.php?sid=b4a0ff493ecb816d6a05cceaeee19283>
   .

*(Refined Role Proposal for Discussion Forums)*
Understanding better the fundamental nature of mailing lists to ASF
projects I'd like to suggest a more tightly scoped implementation of
discussion forums for the Solr project:

   - As an adjunct to, not replacement of, mailing lists.
   - With a focus on answering questions that users/developers have that
   are informational rather than decision making.
   - And perhaps some early stage idea discussions before they are ready
   for a serious proposal.

(*Advantages of Discussion Forums to Solr Community)*
I think this would offer the Solr community a few different advantages:

   - *Visible Vitality *- The Solr project has vitality but it isn't
   entirely visible. An active forum (discuss.elastic.co) can provide this
   visibility.
   - *Redundant Question Reduction* - Forums provide a way for users to
   find answers to questions that might otherwise be asked repeatedly in Slack
   chats or on the mailing lists.
   - *Content Creation* - Users create valuable content (which is indexed
   by search engines) through their discussions.
   - *Noise Reduction* - If at least some informational / idea discussions
   were occurring in the forums the volume of emails on the mailing list would
   be reduced.

*(Recommended Implementation)*
While GitHub Discussions would be the easiest to implement I would
recommend Discourse. GitHub is developer-centric and as such would likely
exclude most (non-dev) users.

Discourse (the org) offers Discourse (the software) as a hosted service for
free <https://blog.discourse.org/2018/11/free-hosting-for-open-source-v2/>
to open source projects.

I'm happy to help if this is something the Solr community would be
interested in. Thanks for taking the time to read and consider.

Sincerely,
Dave Mackey

Re: Apache Projects and Discussion Forums

Posted by David Mackey <da...@davemackey.net>.
Thanks for resurrecting this topic David!

After our discussions at the June meetup I had intended to create an
account with Discourse for the Solr project using their free for open
source hosting <https://free.discourse.group/>. Unfortunately, I became ill
for an extended period and that endeavor went on the back-burner. I'm
fairly recovered now and still interested in helping, if desired.

Initially, I was going to set up the account using my email address and
then transfer it to an official Solr address once it had been set up. In
light of the universe's recent reminder of my mortality I would want to see
it start off using an official email address. If someone with an official
account wants to create the account and add me as an admin once it is set
up, I'm happy to assist. Or if there is a generic account I can be given
access to, I'm happy to perform the setup myself.

I liked your idea of running the two systems in parallel and syncing
between them. I spent some time today researching how this could be
accomplished and from what I've seen it appears theoretically possible but
practically quite difficult. Folks have expressed interest in doing it but
I found no successful implementations.

What is fairly straightforward is:

1. Importing
<https://meta.discourse.org/t/migrate-a-mailing-list-to-discourse-mbox-listserv-google-groups-etc/79773>
the existing mailing list archives
2. Setting up an ongoing, read-only sync
<https://meta.discourse.org/t/continuing-to-run-mailman-and-discourse-using-the-exact-email-addresses-as-mailman-in-parallel/217854/5>
of new mailing list messages to Discourse.

This reduces some fragmentation - forum users would be aware of all
discussions - but mailing list users would miss out on forum messages.

Alternatively, we could make a hard cut over to Discourse, setting
users@solr.apache.org to be ingested by Discourse. Along with an import of
all the existing messages this would ensure that all discussions were
occurring through a single channel. We'd have to use the mailing list mode
<https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-is-mailing-list-mode/46008> to force
Discourse to send all the messages to all subscribers if we wanted to
imitate the mailing list behavior.

This could be done for a short period but I'd recommend against doing it
long-term as it recreates one of the main weaknesses of mailing lists - a
lack of scalability. Mailing lists work well with small groups but as the
size of the group increases the volume of messages increases until it
becomes impossible to manage. Users could still enable mailing list mode
for their personal accounts if they desired to receive all the messages
long-term.

Jan, regarding your suggestion that we not rule GitHub Discussions out -
I'm not strongly opposed to GHD. I agree that most Solr users are likely
developers but I also hope that this won't always be the case and that is
why I haven't been wholeheartedly in favor of GHD. I feel like GHD would
limit Solr long-term or would force another migration as Solr grew beyond
its developer-centric roots.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.
ASF requirements relate to running the development of the project itself --
Solr developers -- committers and contributors.  It doesn't extend to user
support channels, which is what the "users" list is.  This makes sense to
me; the ASF can't meaningfully control that because users can go get
support in any form that exists in the internet and the physical world.  We
are not compelled to even have the users list.  FYI
https://www.apache.org/dev/project-requirements#governance

RE GitHub "Discussion", in the original post here, Dave Macky stated:
> While GitHub Discussions would be the easiest to implement I would
recommend Discourse. GitHub is developer-centric and as such would likely,
exclude most, non-dev, users.

That definitely makes sense to me.  I think GH Discussions would be
appropriate for a project like Lucene.

Ultimately, we should poll users on the list to gauge their acceptance of a
new/different medium.  I would say to *replace* the list.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.