Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Robin Green <gr...@hotmail.com> on 2000/12/01 19:01:35 UTC

Re: [C1] Fop 0.15 support

"Corey O'Donovan" <od...@feersumendjinns.com> wrote:
>Fop 0.15 has been released, there appears to be quite a lot of
>changes/fixes/updates since fop_0_13_0.
>Is there any interest in getting this working with C1?
>I've briefly looked at it and theres been some attribute name changes in
>the
>fo namespace that break 1 of the samples shipped with Cocoon (its fixable)

Actually two - the third sample on samples/index.xml doesn't work at all,
whilst the second one generates a pdf file but outputs warnings to the
console. Only the first one works totally (AFAIK).

Any volunteers to fix it? Because we really need some working samples in the
distro, otherwise it is just very unprofessional. In fact theoretically the
samples should be used as test cases before making a release.

In related news, I have just committed a patch to fix the bug where if you
applied a stylesheet before using FOP (version 0.14 or higher) it would
break FOP. As a result, and as I've noted in changes.xml -

***************** BIG FLASHING RED LIGHTS ***************************
** YOU NEED FOP >0.13 TO BUILD COCOON 1.x, but older versions will **
** still work as before (or not as before ;) at runtime.           **

I'm sure we'll get dozens of emails saying "why can't I build cocoon" so a
more satisfactory solution is needed - like upgrading to 0.15 in the
official cocoon distribution. But I have no experience with FOP, so could
someone else fix the samples please?

>and god knows how many user pages... Should we upgrade?

+1 from me - FOP 0.13 could still be fully supported (for now) but we need
to keep up with the changing specs, and more importantly the new features
and bugfixes provided by FOP 0.15.

Re: [C1] Fop 0.15 support

Posted by Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Robin Green wrote:

> I'm sure we'll get dozens of emails saying "why can't I build cocoon" so a
> more satisfactory solution is needed - like upgrading to 0.15 in the
> official cocoon distribution. But I have no experience with FOP, so could
> someone else fix the samples please?

I am for upgrading cocoon to use fop0.15.0, because there are so many new
features and bugfixes in fop.

If I had a version of cocoon that would run fop0.15.0 I could update the
samples, but it might take quite a bit of time, because I'd have to do it
while upgrading my own files and learning the new spec. Perhaps it's not
as much work as I think, but they did change a number of elementary
concepts.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring