Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2007/11/07 22:31:18 UTC

Added how to commit and contribute docs to pig wiki

I've added http://wiki.apache.org/pig/HowToContribute and
http://wiki.apache.org/pig/HowToCommit to the pig wiki.  I lifted these
straight from the hadoop site, with some editing to reflect the
differences between the projects.  I'm not saying we have to follow
hadoop's processes, but they seem like a good starting point for
discussion.  So let the discussion begin.

Alan.

Re: Added how to commit and contribute docs to pig wiki

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Alan Gates wrote:
> I've added http://wiki.apache.org/pig/HowToContribute and
> http://wiki.apache.org/pig/HowToCommit to the pig wiki.  I lifted these
> straight from the hadoop site, with some editing to reflect the
> differences between the projects.  I'm not saying we have to follow
> hadoop's processes, but they seem like a good starting point for
> discussion.  So let the discussion begin.

I updated these pages to reflect the differences in the "patch
available" mechanisms.  (Hadoop uses a Jira workflow state, while
configured Pig to use a checkbox field on the issue.  Workflows are a
pain to change in Jira, while fields are more lightweight.)

This does not imply that Pig must use the same patch procedures as
Hadoop.  I initially configured Jira for Pig assuming it would use
similar procedures, and these changes to the wiki are consistent with
that.  But if folks wish to develop alternate procedures that's fine
with me.

Doug