Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Bernard T. Higonnet" <bt...@higonnet.net> on 2019/05/30 19:04:03 UTC

Newbie permissions problem running solr

Hello,

I have installed solr from ports under FreeBSD 12.0 and I am trying to
run solr as described in the Solr Quick Start tutorial.

I keep getting permission errors:

/usr/local/solr/example/cloud/node2/solr/../logs  could not be created.
Exiting

Apart from the fact that I find it bizarre that it doesn't put its logs
in some 'standard' writable place, the ".." perturbs me. Does it mean
there's stuff there which I don't know what it is (but it doesn't want
to tell me?). He knows how to write long messages so what's the problem?

I have tried making various places writable, but clearly I don't know
what the ".." means...

Any help appreciated.

TIA
Bernard Higonnet

Re: Newbie permissions problem running solr

Posted by Joe Doupnik <jr...@netlab1.net>.
     One day I will learn to type. In the meanwhile the command, as
root, is  chown -R solr:users solr. That means creating that username if
it is not present.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.

Posted by Joe Doupnik <jr...@netlab1.net>.

-----------

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/30/2019 1:04 PM, Bernard T. Higonnet wrote:
> I have installed solr from ports under FreeBSD 12.0 and I am trying to
> run solr as described in the Solr Quick Start tutorial.
>
> I keep getting permission errors:
>
> /usr/local/solr/example/cloud/node2/solr/../logs  could not be created.
> Exiting

This does not sound like any kind of standard location that the
installation script included with Solr would set up.

It does look like you're trying to run the cloud example ... which we
would very much NOT recommend for production.  The FreeBSD settings
probably are not geared for running examples, but running a production
install.

Chances are that the FreeBSD port has highly customized settings and we
won't have any idea how to help without spending a huge amount of time
exploring how it's set up, which would be very challenging to do via the
mailing list.

If you want to use the FreeBSD port, your best bet is probably talking
to the people who actually created that port.  It wasn't released by the
Solr project.

Or you could go to the Solr web page and download the official release
instead of using that port, and then we could definitely help you.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Newbie permissions problem running solr

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
It is a Unix ".." - as in parent directory. So the path would be:
/usr/local/solr/example/cloud/node2/logs

And I am guessing you have installed Solr with one user and are trying
to use it with another. So, maybe a sudo is required.

Or maybe you could just download a fresh Solr install, unzip it and
run it from there. No installation required just to play around, as
long as you have Java. Installation is for more sysadmin robust setup.

Regards,
   alex.