Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Rushabh Shah <ru...@salesforce.com.INVALID> on 2020/10/14 14:47:15 UTC

Recommended way of using HBase Cell Tags.

Hi Everyone,
I want to understand how to use the Hbase Cell Tags feature. We have a use
case to identify the source of deletes (not the same as authenticated
kerberos user). I have added more details about my use case in HBASE-25118
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-25118>. At my day job we use
Phoenix to interact with hbase and we are passing this information via
Phoenix ConnectionProperties. We are exploring the Cell Tags feature to add
this metadata to Hbase Cells (only to Delete Markers as of now).

Via HBASE-18995 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-18995>, we
have moved all the createCell methods which use Tag(s) as an argument to
PrivateCellUtil class and made the InterfaceAudience of that class Private.
I saw some discussion on that jira
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-18995?focusedCommentId=16219960&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-16219960>]
to expose some methods as LimitedPrivate accessible to CP but was decided
to do it later. We only expose CellBuilderFactory
<https://github.com/apache/hbase/blob/master/hbase-common/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/CellBuilderFactory.java>
which returns which returns an instance of CellBuilder
<https://github.com/apache/hbase/blob/master/hbase-common/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/CellBuilder.java>
which doesn't have a setTags method. Also the code is vastly different in
branch-1.

Could someone please educate me on how to populate tags from the client
side (i.e Phoenix) while creating a Delete object ?
Thank you !

Re: Recommended way of using HBase Cell Tags.

Posted by Anoop John <an...@gmail.com>.
The best way IMO, would be to pass these stuff as attributes within
Put/Delete  ( Any Mutation) and make the CP to process it and convert as
Tags and attach to Cells before write to region.. This is how cell level
ACL/ TTL etc works..   I agree to Andy on keeping tags not exposed to
clients.

Anoop

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: Recommended way of using HBase Cell Tags.

Posted by Rushabh Shah <ru...@salesforce.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: Recommended way of using HBase Cell Tags.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
For what it's worth I am not in favor of exposing tags to clients nor
letting clients submit tags because either leaking security tags or
spoofing security tags would be a CVE worthy mistake. There is no strong
rationale here to overcome the risk, in my opinion. Of course, because
Phoenix is a coprocessor application (in part), if you did want to use tags
on the server side, you are welcome to add them in the Phoenix coprocessors
and consume them in those code paths as well. There should be no

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: Recommended way of using HBase Cell Tags.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: Recommended way of using HBase Cell Tags.

Posted by Geoffrey Jacoby <gj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I responded on the JIRA.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: Recommended way of using HBase Cell Tags.

Posted by Rushabh Shah <ru...@salesforce.com.INVALID>.

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rushabh