Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Matthias Brunner <mb...@blumenstrasse.vol.at> on 2002/11/21 18:48:15 UTC

How to make an element disappear completely?

Hello,

I am trying to get pagination information back into the source
document. (see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-user&m=103227363003594&w=2)

It seems that there is no other opportunity than relying on an ugly
hack. I intend to scan the Area Tree output in order to see where
page breaks occur exactly.

Every element in the source document has an id and the following
lines will be at the beginning of every template:
<fo:inline><xsl:value-of select="concat(name(),':',@id)"/>
</fo:inline>

Of course, this influences the page breaks itself which it should not
do. So I make it smaller:
<fo:inline font-size="0.000001pt"><xsl:value-of
select="concat(name(),':',@id)"/>
</fo:inline>

Now the text is gone but, unfortunately, the inline-element still
consumes space? How do I make this element disappear completely (but
still get it to be in the area tree)?
Is there any other way to achieve this? Processing instructions?

Kind regards!
--
Matthias Brunner <mb...@blumenstrasse.vol.at>
PGP FP 7862 32B3 3B75 292A F76F  5042 8587 21AB 5B89 D501

Re: XML area tree question

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I'm sure Nikolai listens in. :-) But you're right, of course.

On 20.11.2002 18:17:41 Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > Great idea. And let's try to feed those back to the XSL:FO WG. Nikolai,
> > are you listening in? What do you think?
> xsl-fo@w3 or xsl-fo@yahoo probably is a better place for such efforts as I
> presume not all fo-formatter developers review fop-dev list. But as for
> feedback - don't worry, Eliot will persuade them all to participate :)

Jeremias Maerki

Re: XML area tree question

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Great idea. And let's try to feed those back to the XSL:FO WG. Nikolai,
> are you listening in? What do you think?
xsl-fo@w3 or xsl-fo@yahoo probably is a better place for such efforts as I
presume not all fo-formatter developers review fop-dev list. But as for
feedback - don't worry, Eliot will persuade them all to participate :)

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team
Multiconn Technologies, Israel

Re: XML area tree question

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

On 20.11.2002 17:16:13 Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> Apart from this: may be it's time to establish exsl-fo community to define
> common crossformatter extensions like exslt.org does for xslt?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: XML area tree question

Posted by "W. Eliot Kimber" <el...@isogen.com>.
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:

> Yes, that sounds great. Somebody have to design spec of it :)
> Apart from this: may be it's time to establish exsl-fo community to
> define common crossformatter extensions like exslt.org does for xslt?

Sounds like it. I hadn't done this yet because I got some conflicting
Sourceforge application for the project as soon as I get a chance.

Cheers,

E.

--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@isogen.com
Consultant, ISOGEN International

1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
Austin, TX  78752 Phone: 512.656.4139

Re: XML area tree question

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.

Re: XML area tree question

Posted by "W. Eliot Kimber" <el...@isogen.com>.
Matthias Brunner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in this thread
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-user&m=103227363003594&w=2) I
> asked whether you could use FOP extensions to get the pagination
> back into the source XML document.

There was some discussion of this requirement on one of the FO lists not
too long ago. It's a general requirement of all FO implementations. My
suggestion was to enable the arbitrary output of "side files" that
contain whatever information the style sheet writer wants to output. XEP
already provides a generalized output mechanism that goes some way
toward satisfying this requirement, although I would like a more general
solution that lets me put essentially arbitrary markup in the output,
but with the ability to refer to artifacts of the paginated result
document (page numbers, marker values, mappings of input elements to the
pages they occurred on, etc.).

Cheers,

Eliot

Re: How to make an element disappear completely?

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Matthias Brunner wrote:

> Every element in the source document has an id and the following
> lines will be at the beginning of every template:
> <fo:inline><xsl:value-of select="concat(name(),':',@id)"/>
> </fo:inline>
Sounds like you want to mark every formatting object. If that's true,
what about <fo:marker> ?

Re: XML area tree question

Posted by Matthias Brunner <mb...@blumenstrasse.vol.at>.
Sorry, wrong list. There are just too many apache lists :)

Re: XML area tree question

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 11:33, Matthias Brunner wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 November 2002 11:26, Keiron Liddle wrote:
> >
> > The XML representation has already changed in cvs. It is a major
> > change due to a major change with the area tree.
> > The xml is a sort of a representation of the area tree that is
> > normally handled by the renderers.
>
> Do these changes depend on changes of the W3C standard? Or are they
> completely programme-internal?

Completely internal.
Actually the new structure is much closer to the area tree described in
the spec.

> With "without major changes" I mean that there should be still a Page
> element, a LineArea element and a WordArea element. Not anything
> more specific.

Those sort of things will still exist.

Re: XML area tree question

Posted by Matthias Brunner <mb...@blumenstrasse.vol.at>.

Re: XML area tree question

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 11:03, Matthias Brunner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in this thread
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-user&m=103227363003594&w=2) I
> asked whether you could use FOP extensions to get the pagination
> back into the source XML document.
>
> Back then I had also thought about parsing the area tree debugging
> output to achieve this.
> It seems like an ugly hack (maybe writing an element id into the
> header of each page) but it could work.
>
> Now my question is:
> Will this XML representation be continued in future FOP versions?
> Will it remain unchanged? (at least no major modifications)

The XML representation has already changed in cvs. It is a major change
due to a major change with the area tree.
The xml is a sort of a representation of the area tree that is normally
handled by the renderers.

So it is likely to continue but has been changed.