Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org> on 2020/02/28 15:33:39 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) version 0.1.0 (-rc.1)

Dear community,

I would like to propose we release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.1.0.

This is the first release of Apache Annotator and represents a modest but
exciting step for the community. We encourage everyone to help us verify
that the release is proper and help identify and fix any critical issues
with the project's packaging or the proper functioning of the build.

The release artifacts are available here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/annotator/source/0.1.0/rc.1

There you will find a tarball, a GPG signature, and SHA256/SHA512 checksums.

A KEYS file for checking the signatures can be found here:

    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/annotator/KEYS

Please verify that the build is from commit
b3d671796422e5583f4ee3cd8ad7bbaa90bc3ffc, tagged as v0.1.0-rc.1, by
checking out the source tree and running `make dist`, verifying that it
produces an identical tarball with the same checksums as the uploaded
artifacts.

Please validate the build by checking that the signature and checksums are
valid for the uploaded tarball and then unpacking it and ensuring that
`make && make check` exits cleanly.

If you would like to further validate the packaging, the repository is set
up for Apache Rat to check for proper license headers and notifications. As
this is our first release, it is important to us that we get these
processes correctly in place.

If the vote passes, these artifacts will be released as Apache Annotator
(incubating) 0.1.0.

The vote will be open for 72 hours.

Voting:
+1 - release this package as 0.1.0
+0 - no opinion
-1 - do not release this package

Regards,
Randall Leeds

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) version 0.1.0 (-rc.1)

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.
I am aborting this vote as it has been brought to my attention that I
failed to follow the proper process.

I will restart the vote within the developer mailing list for the project
and bring it to incubator general only after it passes.

My apologies for the noise.

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
On 28/02/2020 16:33, Randall Leeds wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> I would like to propose we release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.1.0.
>
> This is the first release of Apache Annotator and represents a modest but
> exciting step for the community. We encourage everyone to help us verify
> that the release is proper and help identify and fix any critical issues
> with the project's packaging or the proper functioning of the build.
>
> The release artifacts are available here:
>

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/annotator/source/0.1.0/rc.1
>
> There you will find a tarball, a GPG signature, and SHA256/SHA512 checksums.
>
> A KEYS file for checking the signatures can be found here:
>
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/annotator/KEYS
>
> Please verify that the build is from commit
> b3d671796422e5583f4ee3cd8ad7bbaa90bc3ffc, tagged as v0.1.0-rc.1, by
> checking out the source tree and running `make dist`, verifying that it
> produces an identical tarball with the same checksums as the uploaded
> artifacts.
check. (despite your follow-up warning; we use the same stack, I guess)

> Please validate the build by checking that the signature and checksums are
> valid for the uploaded tarball and then unpacking it and ensuring that
> `make && make check` exits cleanly.
check.
> If you would like to further validate the packaging, the repository is set
> up for Apache Rat to check for proper license headers and notifications. As
> this is our first release, it is important to us that we get these
> processes correctly in place.

did not attempt.

> If the vote passes, these artifacts will be released as Apache Annotator
> (incubating) 0.1.0.
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours.
>
> Voting:
> +1 - release this package as 0.1.0
> +0 - no opinion
> -1 - do not release this package
>
> Regards,
> Randall Leeds

+1!

— Gerben

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) version 0.1.0 (-rc.1)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I’m assuming this is not an official IPMC vote as you haven’t finish voted on it on your dev list yet. If this way I would be -1 on it as:
- the NOTICE looks like it contains licensing information which shod be in LICENSE not NOTICE.
- You are not complying with the term of the W3C license (i.e. you need to include that license text)
- It also unclear where these copied and modified files are.

I checked:
- incubating in name
- DISCLAIMER exists (but it’s not the WIP one, you might consider using this)
- LICENSE is missing license information (W3C)
- NOTICE incorrect include license information
- No unexpected binary files
- All source files have ASF headers
- Can compile from source

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) version 0.1.0 (-rc.1)

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Keep the vote as a round 1 vote. Pretend you addressed it to dev and CC'd
to general@incubator instead of the other way around. :-)

Normally incubator folks (apart from those who are also your mentors)
wouldn't see anything until round 2 but it is not unheard of for podlings
to CC incubator to keep them in the loop and get some extra eyeballs the
first time around. The process seems a lot (and I guess it is) but once you
have been through it a few times and automate a few of the bits, it becomes
second nature.

What you would normally do after a successful round 1 vote, is send again
to general@incubator (most of the current info is fine to keep) plus have a
link back to your dev vote, e.g. ponymail or mail archives.

I'm a little fuzzy on the voting arrangements - it's been a while since I
needed to worry about that bit. I believe you need 3 votes from your
official committer list here:
https://projects.apache.org/project.html?incubator-annotator
So you have two binding votes plus one other vote so far if I read it
correctly.

For round 2, the IPMC votes are the binding ones (which can and should
include one or more of your mentors).

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Jake Hartnell <ja...@commongarden.org>.
+1

Exciting times! Thanks for putting this together Randall!

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 8:28 AM Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2020, 10:33 Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Please verify that the build is from commit
>> b3d671796422e5583f4ee3cd8ad7bbaa90bc3ffc, tagged as v0.1.0-rc.1, by
>> checking out the source tree and running `make dist`, verifying that it
>> produces an identical tarball with the same checksums as the uploaded
>> artifacts.
>>

> This recommendation was slightly incorrect. It is news to me that "git
> archive" may generate different tarball metadata on different systems. As a
> result, the checksums may not match, but the contents of the tarball should
> be identical to source tree. Please use "diff -r" against a clean source
> and an unpacked artifact.

+1 for myself
`make && make check` exits cleanly
No differences between the v0.1.0-rc.1 tag and a clean source tree.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) version 0.1.0 (-rc.1)

Posted by Jake Hartnell <ja...@commongarden.org>.
+1

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 8:28 AM Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2020, 10:33 Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Please verify that the build is from commit
>> b3d671796422e5583f4ee3cd8ad7bbaa90bc3ffc, tagged as v0.1.0-rc.1, by
>> checking out the source tree and running `make dist`, verifying that it
>> produces an identical tarball with the same checksums as the uploaded
>> artifacts.
>>

> This recommendation was slightly incorrect. It is news to me that "git
> archive" may generate different tarball metadata on different systems. As a
> result, the checksums may not match, but the contents of the tarball should
> be identical to source tree. Please use "diff -r" against a clean source
> and an unpacked artifact.

+1 for myself

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
On 28/02/2020 16:33, Randall Leeds wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> I would like to propose we release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.1.0.
>
> This is the first release of Apache Annotator and represents a modest but
> exciting step for the community. We encourage everyone to help us verify
> that the release is proper and help identify and fix any critical issues
> with the project's packaging or the proper functioning of the build.
>
> The release artifacts are available here:
>

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/annotator/source/0.1.0/rc.1
>
> There you will find a tarball, a GPG signature, and SHA256/SHA512 checksums.
>
> A KEYS file for checking the signatures can be found here:
>
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/annotator/KEYS
>
> Please verify that the build is from commit
> b3d671796422e5583f4ee3cd8ad7bbaa90bc3ffc, tagged as v0.1.0-rc.1, by
> checking out the source tree and running `make dist`, verifying that it
> produces an identical tarball with the same checksums as the uploaded
> artifacts.
check. (despite your follow-up warning; we use the same stack, I guess)

> Please validate the build by checking that the signature and checksums are
> valid for the uploaded tarball and then unpacking it and ensuring that
> `make && make check` exits cleanly.
check.
> If you would like to further validate the packaging, the repository is set
> up for Apache Rat to check for proper license headers and notifications. As
> this is our first release, it is important to us that we get these
> processes correctly in place.

did not attempt.

> If the vote passes, these artifacts will be released as Apache Annotator
> (incubating) 0.1.0.
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours.
>
> Voting:
> +1 - release this package as 0.1.0
> +0 - no opinion
> -1 - do not release this package
>
> Regards,
> Randall Leeds

+1!

— Gerben

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) version 0.1.0 (-rc.1)

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 07:33:39 -0800
Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org> wrote:

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/annotator/source/0.1.0/rc.1

Couple of belated comments after looking very briefly.

1.  The chain of trust to your PGP signature is tenuous.
    It's two steps to a signature - Gerben's - I can verify
    with any level of robustness.

2.  I find myself without all the prerequisites to install,
    and no time to work through them.  It would be good to
    document them, either in README or a separate INSTALL.

Not a showstopper, but please bear in mind for Next-release.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) version 0.1.0 (-rc.1)

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.