Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by ba...@gmail.com on 2005/04/26 16:43:16 UTC

RPC/Encoded and Java<->XML Data Binding

Hi All,

I have some basic doubts on RPC/Encoded style wsdl and what is the
role of Java to XML Data Binding Frameworks like JAXB, Castor etc. in
RPC/Encoded approach when we are going to consume such WSDL using AXIS
and how custom serializers or deserializers work with such java to xml
data binding frameworks in the process of generating the soap request
envelope ?

More specifically can we use Java to XML Data Binding frameworks like
Castor, JAXB in a RPC/Encoded style wsdl consumption ? If so what are
the advantage such approaches ?

Also, can anyone please tell me what ALL are the advantages of
RPC/Encoded style over document/literal or rpc/literal specially in
supporting java collections like HashMap's, Vector's and complex java
beans etc. ?

Thanks & Regards,
Kumar.

Re: RPC/Encoded and Java<->XML Data Binding

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Anne,

Big +1 to your views on this!!

I've been pushing Glen hard to forget about SOAP encoding .. :-) Making
progress but
not quite there yet!

FWIW, Axis2 will *not* have built in support for SOAP enc; it'll be
layered on top
and will run slower and uglier etc. etc.. The core is pure
document-oriented; with
RPC (literal) layered on top as a pattern - just like how WSDL2 does it.

Sanjiva.

Anne Thomas Manes wrote:

>Also -- from my perspective, there are absolutely no advantages of
>using SOAP encoding over literal encoding. That's of course working on
>the assumption that the reason you are using SOAP is to enable
>heterogeneous interoperability.
>
>If you want to use SOAP in place of a homogeneous distributed object
>system like RMI, then there might be some small advantage in using
>SOAP encoding when passing rich object graphs. But if you want to do
>homogeneous distributed object computing, then you should use RMI, not
>SOAP.
>
>All performance tests I've seen show that RPC/encoded is slower than
>RPC/literal or doc/literal. And a huge number of interop problems are
>caused by SOAP encoding.
>
>I'm sure that Glen Daniels has a different opinion, though.
>
>Anne
>

>On 4/26/05, Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>You can't use a Java/XML binding framework with RPC/encoded. They only
>>work with literal encodings.
>>
>>On 4/26/05, babloosony@gmail.com <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>I have some basic doubts on RPC/Encoded style wsdl and what is the
>>>role of Java to XML Data Binding Frameworks like JAXB, Castor etc. in
>>>RPC/Encoded approach when we are going to consume such WSDL using AXIS
>>>and how custom serializers or deserializers work with such java to xml
>>>data binding frameworks in the process of generating the soap request
>>>envelope ?
>>>
>>>More specifically can we use Java to XML Data Binding frameworks like
>>>Castor, JAXB in a RPC/Encoded style wsdl consumption ? If so what are
>>>the advantage such approaches ?
>>>
>>>Also, can anyone please tell me what ALL are the advantages of
>>>RPC/Encoded style over document/literal or rpc/literal specially in
>>>supporting java collections like HashMap's, Vector's and complex java
>>>beans etc. ?
>>>
>>>Thanks & Regards,
>>>Kumar.

Re: RPC/Encoded and Java<->XML Data Binding

Posted by ba...@gmail.com.
Hi Anne,

Thank you for the response. Can you please tell me why we cannot use
any Java to XML Binding frameworks like castor when trying to consme a
 RPC/Encoded style WSDL ? Soap encoding using xml schemas and can't we
castor to serializer soap request envelope in the format specified by
xml schema in the wsdl ? Please suggest ...

Thanks & Regards,
Kumar.

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.