Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by dh...@bigfoot.com on 2001/10/08 20:02:57 UTC

re: mod_webapp [LONG]

On 8 Oct 2001, at 17:52, Mike Dewhirst wrote:

> > May I propose you get your facts straight on a single webpage
> > at the http://jakarta.apache.org website for all of the
> > combinations

IMHO, while phrased somewhat confrontationally, this *would* seem
a good  suggestion.  If indeed, these questions have been asked
frequently, wouldn't  it behoove someone with access to add them to
the Tomcat HOWTOs? I  would think the HOWTO docs that have
already been completed would have  been much more difficult than
this...

> > Why should I waste my time digging through
> > your messy archives?

Darn good question.

> Becuase it's free and no one is forcing you to use it and
> you should be greatful that several people have taken a lot
>  of their time to write a pretty descent piece of software.

I think the reply, while making some valid points, misses the fact that
if  someone who has access to Jakarta webpages/Tomcat pages
went through  the "messy archives" once, then this thing could be
laid to rest permanently,  and the effort wouldn't have to be
duplicated by every single potential Tomcat  user on the planet.

I don't think anyone would argue that some effort expended on
extracting  whatever info is in the archives and putting it where it's
supposed to be isn't  worth it.

The question is, who *can* do so from a standpoint of

a) having the subject matter expertise to be able to do so
    authoritatively, and
b) who can make the changes to the website, and get new
    information into a new "Apache - Tomcat HOWTO" page...

for the record, this is the current FAQ Q/A -

"What does apache need to work with Tomcat? "

"The question really should be the other way around. But this is all
answered in the Tomcat installation file which you can find with in
the  distributions of Tomcat. In other words, simply reading the
installation  documents generally answer questions like this."

This out-of-date entry is a snipe hunt...do you have any idea how
much time  I wasted because of that?

> And if it doesn't have an M$ style plug-n-play
> click-and-don't-have-to-think interface I don't see
> that as such a big problem.

It's not if you are a developer who wants  to learn more about
Apache and  Tomcat internals.  It is if you are a user who wants to
*use* the software.

I'm not meaning to flame, but I see this attitude a lot for some reason
around  folks who use open-source stuff a lot.  It'd be a valid point if
we were trying  to find tricky ways to encourage everyone to learn
c/c++ programming and  design, the intricacies of makefiles,
etc...but we simply aren't.  Users have  an app they want to use.
That's it.  Adding further __unnecessary__ steps  to the learning
curve does nothing except create friction between
developers/maintainers and the user community, and reduce
people's  interest.  I'm trying to learn servlet/web app development.
I'm having to use a  lot of my spare time to do this, because I don't
have a job that lets me do  learn on company time.

I don't have the time to learn/dig/toil/beg/plead/pray for ways past a
problem  as ....frustrating unnecessary as this....*everyone* using
Tomcat with  Apache needs this info.

I mean, I may not know how the Apache-tomcat
communication/integration  is supposed to be set up, but I am fairly
confident that someone who does  would have been able to write up
a quick description of the process in less  time than it takes to send
a short "you should be glad we're forcing you to  work through this
mess on your own" message...once you count the number  of times
that reply has been seen in one form or another on the list.

Again, I'm not flaming, Or at least, I'm honestly trying not to.
(frustration  may be clouding my judgement, i freely admit) I'm just
suggesting that there  are

a)   people, probably on this list or at least on the development team,
      who could solve this doc problem in under 15 minutes of typing,
      and
b)   those of us who need that information aren't going to be able to
      guess the right answers, and
c)   we frequently don't have the hours or days to spend looking for
      where the answer to something like this is buried in list	archives
      going back through months of message when we've got much
      bigger, more serious learning challenges / development projects
      to work on.
d)  We aren't asking for something as complicated as instructions
     on how to develop our apps....just how to get the software
     installed properly.

> Erm, can we stop here? I was just making a suggestion,
> not starting a  flame war. Honest.

While I agree that the whole conversation should and can easily be
kept to a  civil tone, I think that stopping short of some much needed
docs just leaves  the whole issue smoldering, ready to erupt again
the moment another  desperate user trys subbing to this list, only to
find that the question, "Are  there instructions on how to set this
up?", has been asked before, and the  answer was "No, because we
can't be bothered. And how dare you ask."

I'd suggest that incomplete documentation will probably break/halt
more  development projects than an infrequently encountered bug.
The point being  of course, that instructions are always worthwhile...

--Aaron

ps -- and of course, just to re-iterate, I appreciate the efforts the
developers  are putting into this...Jakarta in general and Tomcat in
specific kick ass, I  simply *love* that something like Jakarta exists
at all, ...and .if I could help,  or complete the documentation, believe
me I would, but I can't - I *am* a  newbie to this...give me a few
months...   : )

corrupt mod_webapp

Posted by Greg Chakmakian <gr...@mac.com>.
I am trying to connect mod_webapp to apache.  My problem is that every time
I download the file it gets corrupt.  I am running OS X which there is a
disclaimer on the main download page, but I am extracting the file with
stuffit expander rather the GNU gzip commands from the terminal.  I have
even tried downloading it to a windows machine and copying the files over.
No luck.  I tried the mirror sites for apache, but there is nothing for
tomcat.  Is there anywhere else I might be able to get the mod_jk file?

-greg