Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Philip Webster <ph...@philipwebster.com> on 2007/11/09 14:11:33 UTC

Missing dependencies for ServiceMix builds from source

Hi,
I'm trying to build various versions of ServiceMix from source, but there
seems to be a number of dependencies that are not available from the Maven
repositories specified in the POMs. The missing dependencies cause the build
to fail.

ServiceMix 3.1 fails in 'step1' due to a missing ActiveMQ dependency
(4.1incubation-2007-0103).

ServiceMix 3.1.1 builds without any problems.

ServiceMix 3.1.2 fails in 'step2' due to a missing Log4J dependency
(log4j1.2.12).

This has been a problem for the past week, and it also prevented ServiceMix
3.2 from building, although this appears to have been fixed.

Could all the dependencies that are required to build ServiceMix from source
be placed into the ServiceMix Maven repository? I need to use these old
versions, but I also need to apply a patch and build from source, so the
binary releases are ruled out for me.

Regards,

Phil

Re: Missing dependencies for ServiceMix builds from source

Posted by Philip Webster <ph...@philipwebster.com>.
The patch is actually the one on the SM-1119 JIRA issue. The patch has been
there for over a week, and it's taken that long for me to work through all
the ServiceMix releases, trying to build them and messing around with Maven
repositories.

I did think it was just something I had done wrong, but the recent
discussion prior to the 3.2 release did make it clear that I wasn't the only
person suffering from failing builds.

Older ServiceMix releases are available from the download page, and can be
checked out as source from the Subversion repository. The problem is that in
some cases the releases are now impossible to build. This reduces the
usefulness of the source quite significantly. If I can't build from source,
what use is the source distribution?

This would not be an issue if the hosting of the code under Subversion was
accompanied by hosting of the dependencies.

For dependencies that are available elsewhere, might it be possible to
modify the POMs in the old releases to point at repos where the dependencies
can still be found? By this I mean that any potential user can then download
the TAR of the source distribution, and be sure that the source will build
because the POMs point to all the prerequisites for the build process.

Regards,

Phil

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 9, 2007 2:11 PM, Philip Webster <ph...@philipwebster.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to build various versions of ServiceMix from source, but there
> seems to be a number of dependencies that are not available from the Maven
> repositories specified in the POMs. The missing dependencies cause the
> build
> to fail.
>
> ServiceMix 3.1 fails in 'step1' due to a missing ActiveMQ dependency
> (4.1incubation-2007-0103).

Humm, not sure where it is :-(

> ServiceMix 3.1.1 builds without any problems.
>
> ServiceMix 3.1.2 fails in 'step2' due to a missing Log4J dependency
> (log4j1.2.12).

This one is available from public repos:
  http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/log4j/log4j/1.2.12/

> This has been a problem for the past week, and it also prevented
> ServiceMix
> 3.2 from building, although this appears to have been fixed.
>
> Could all the dependencies that are required to build ServiceMix from
> source
> be placed into the ServiceMix Maven repository? I need to use these old
> versions, but I also need to apply a patch and build from source, so the
> binary releases are ruled out for me.

Maybe you could submit your patch ? Or just ask for the patch to be applied
if we forgot...
Anyway, I understand the need, but i doubt infra would be happy to have a
copy of all dependencies  for each project at Apache.  For those not
available, we already do that.

In addition we could try to publish the local repo used when releasing a new
version.

> Regards,
>
> Phil

Cheers,