Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2012/03/23 18:46:16 UTC

[SUPPORTED OS] RE: Propose AOO 3.4 RC Build Test Plan

Why is it assumed that AOO support should end because Microsoft has ended the support life for Windows 2000 SP4?  That has nothing to do with whether or not users are continuing to run it, for any reason.

I continued to run Windows 98 machines beyond that support life, mainly because they were not up to running Windows XP at all well.  (I do have one of those running XP SP3 now mainly because it is only running a little web server.)

One advantage (more or less) of running Apache OpenOffice on such a machine is that it can run there whereas later versions of Microsoft Office will not.

Here's the support list for the Java JRE 6u31, the latest update of Java 6:
Platform(s): Windows 7, Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows 2008 Server.

Java 7, which is not yet the public distribution, removes Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 (server) from that list.

I suggest that if we want AOO 3.4 to run wherever OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 does, we do not shrink the list until AOO 4.0 is a reality.

 - Dennis

Posted by xia zhao <li...@gmail.com>.
Dennis,

Yes, I agree with you that still some sites offering ISO image about
Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 and still many users may work on these
platforms.

But aware except for the two platforms, there are still some other
platforms not listed in this test plan. Such as IRIX((mips4), NetBSD etc.
It doesn't means those platforms wouldn't be supported by AOO 3.4, it
depends on if volunteers who have these kinds of platforms would like do
AOO 3.4 testing and make sure it can work well. Any voluntters on other
platforms are always welcome.

Best Regards,

Lily

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.