Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Mohammed, Feroz" <FM...@TALK.COM> on 2004/09/05 04:01:26 UTC

RE: Reloading lo4j.xml properties files in WAR/EAR

Hello,
I am new to log4j, heard lot of  good things about logging.
I am using OC4j App server (Oracle) 9.0.4. on WIN2k dev deployment on Red
Hat linuix.

Here is my question:
In dev env I specify the catagory to DEBUG, when deploying I am changing to
WARN. and it is at web-inf/classes level
 in WAR file. But I want to change the properties file to level to DEBUG
without re-starting the server.
How can I do it .

Regards
Feroz

Re: Reloading lo4j.xml properties files in WAR/EAR

Posted by Nathan Coast <na...@codeczar.com>.
Hi,

this enables you to configure log4j within webapps.

http://www.codeczar.com/products/logweb/index.html

with LogWeb you are able to persist the logging changes between restarts only if you
configure log4j from a properties file defined by the system property
"log4j.configuration". xml files can't be persisted as there's no means to create the xml
file from the current config.

there is also a servlet in the sandbox that has basic configuration options.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/logging-log4j-sandbox/src/java/org/apache/log4j/servlet/ConfigurationServlet.java?view=markup

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Check out a few of the 3rd party extensions listed here:
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/download.html

I think you'd be interested in the various web interfaces for Log4j.  You
might even be able to configure via JMX, although I've never done it
before.  Anyone have much experience with that?  Sounds like a good wiki item.

Jake