Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2016/11/15 22:52:34 UTC

Documented Process for archiving project/module?

Do we have an overview of the whole decision/action process around
retiring each of a podling, a TLP, and a module/subproject within a TLP?

I know the Attic has technical process documentation - but do we have a
guide for the whole process, starting with either a community member (or
the board!) noticing a project is mostly inactive, to actually deciding
it's not active enough to be maintained, etc.?

The board regularly sees or hears about projects or modules that aren't
active, and want to retire.  But we aren't consistent across the ASF at
communicating that status to the larger *public* community - sometimes
it's just the PMC list that decides and moves to the board.

Just an idea...

- Shane

Re: Documented Process for archiving project/module?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Is anything wrong with that the PMC is handling this on a
project-by-project basis?

Likewise, you could say similar "communicating that status to the larger
public community" for just about every aspect of a project's life, and that
those are inconsistent across the ASF.

* Release cycles
* Programming Language
* Versioning conventions
* Git vs Svn
* Number of repositories
* Number of release artifacts
* Use of issue tracker vs mailing lists
* Number of mailing lists in a project
* Barrier level for becoming committer and PMC member
* Responsiveness to external patches
* Maturity level
* Build systems
* Prerequisites

I have always viewed that as a strength rather than a weakness. So my
simple question is; Why is software development lifecycle management any
different to any of the above?

Cheers
Niclas

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> Do we have an overview of the whole decision/action process around
> retiring each of a podling, a TLP, and a module/subproject within a TLP?
>
> I know the Attic has technical process documentation - but do we have a
> guide for the whole process, starting with either a community member (or
> the board!) noticing a project is mostly inactive, to actually deciding
> it's not active enough to be maintained, etc.?
>
> The board regularly sees or hears about projects or modules that aren't
> active, and want to retire.  But we aren't consistent across the ASF at
> communicating that status to the larger *public* community - sometimes
> it's just the PMC list that decides and moves to the board.
>
> Just an idea...
>
> - Shane

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer