Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/28 16:56:56 UTC

[DISCUSS] Combine windows and unix distros

Right now, the zip and tar.gz distros contain different scripts and libs
depending on the platform:

[janstey@bender tmp]$ diff -w -r apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip
apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip/bin: activemq-admin.bat
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip/bin: activemq.bat
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar/bin: diag
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar/bin: linux-x86-32
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar/bin: linux-x86-64
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_tar/bin: macosx
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip/bin: win32
Only in apache-activemq-5.8.0_zip/bin: win64

I'm proposing having a single ActiveMQ packaging script that produces a zip
and tar.gz with the same contents. Other Apache projects do this already:
CXF, Maven, ... So, we'd essentially be testing the same kit on all
platforms, which makes things simpler I think.

Opened a ticket here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-4414 and
also a pull request so folks could try it out if they want.

https://github.com/apache/activemq/pull/2

One noticeable thing missing in this scheme are Windows line endings on
shared things like properties files and config, but I think we can live
with that. Hopefully most Windows devs have better text editors than
notepad :-)

--
Cheers,
Jon

Re: [DISCUSS] Combine windows and unix distros

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Sounds fair enough. I wanted consensus before committing this and there
have been two -1's already so I'll close the issue as won't fix.

Cheers,
Jon

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
so then -1

Posted by Torsten Mielke <tm...@redhat.com>.
+1
On Apr 3, 2013, at 10:28 PM, Jon Anstey wrote:

> Nothing really wrong with having 2 different distros. It's just simpler IMO
> to have one set of files to manage and get right, rather than testing 2
> different sets of files.
>
> Full disclosure: I'm making this change as part of JBoss Fuse
> http://fusesource.com/issues/browse/ENTMQ-262 so its not really a
> requirement here at Apache. Just would make my life easier :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Jon
>

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>wrote:
>
>> I guess I just don't understand what's wrong with having 2 different
>> distros.
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jim,
>>>
>>> Yeah, its does add stuff to each distribution but its a really small
>>> difference. Less than 1MB in either case IIRC. Guess we don't HAVE to
>> make
>>> this change, but I'm still for it :-) Anyone else have a preference
>> either
>>> way?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jon

>> like
>>> the
>>> recommended.

>>> company
>> not
>> add
>>> in

>>> favorite

>>> tabish121@gmail.com>

>> will

>> scripts

>> this
>> on

>>> can
>> editors

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jon
>>> ---------------
>>> Red Hat, Inc.
>>> Email: janstey@redhat.com
>>> Web: http://redhat.com
>>> Twitter: jon_anstey
>>> Blog: http://janstey.blogspot.com
>>> Author of Camel in Action: http://manning.com/ibsen
>>>

>> --
>>
>> **
>>
>> *Hiram Chirino*
>>
>> *Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.*
>>
>> *hchirino@redhat.com <hc...@redhat.com> | fusesource.com | redhat.com*
>>
>> *skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino<
>> http://twitter.com/hiramchirino>
>> *
>>
>> *blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo <http://hiramchirino.com/blog/>*
>>

> --
> Cheers,
> Jon
> ---------------
> Red Hat, Inc.
> Email: janstey@redhat.com
> Web: http://redhat.com
> Twitter: jon_anstey
> Blog: http://janstey.blogspot.com
> Author of Camel in Action: http://manning.com/ibsen

Torsten Mielke
tmielke@redhat.com
tmielke.blogspot.com

Supporting success. Exceeding expectations.
Red Hat Customer Portal http://bit.ly/accessRH
Twitter http://bit.ly/RHsupport
Facebook - http://bit.ly/RHsupportFB
Google+ http://bit.ly/RHsupportG
LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/company/red-hat

Re: [DISCUSS] Combine windows and unix distros

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jim,