Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu> on 2006/12/16 19:45:51 UTC

New releases

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 12:07:44AM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> ... putting off working on a FOP release ...

Yes, I (and others) am putting off work on the xmlgraphics-commons 1.1
release waiting for you to move it forward. Do I understand that this
is ready for a release, and that you would be happy if we move forward
with it? If so, then the next thing to do is the xml-fop-0.93 release.

Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.eu

Re: New releases

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Not really. I stumbled over
http://www.apache.org/dev/repository-faq.html and suddenly confusion was
all over me again. Looks like this is the new way how Apache release
should be promoted into iBiblio. Completely different from what I
prepared. Anyway, I got side-tracked again on Saturday evening and so
I've not been able to check anything.

Purpose: People ask for Maven artifacts from time to time (for Batik and
FOP) for use in their Maven-enabled (or lately Ivy-enabled) projects
enabling auto-download of dependecies for Java projects. In the past
some people have simply put some JAR files with some minimalistic POM
onto iBiblio. The Cocooners asked me to do something about it. They even
helped me setting up the POM etc.

In essence, what needs to be done is to somehow verify that the Maven
artifact package stuff I hacked into the build does the right thing. I
don't think we have to use the new Apache repository already. The
package that is currently built is theoretically containing everything
that is needed to submit a request for inclusion in iBiblio. But I don't
use Maven and I had my good share of bad experience using it (building
Cocoon), so this is not a two-minute job for me.

More info:
http://maven.apache.org/project-faq.html

See also:
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/fop/
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/batik/

Big thanks if you look into this as I'm completely unavailable the next
three days. No worries if you don't. We can do the release without this
part.

On 18.12.2006 16:39:41 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki a écrit :
> <snip/>
> > The only thing I'm planning on checking (trying tonight) is if the Maven
> > stuff works as expected. Otherwise, Commons 1.1 is good to go. Well, it
>
> Did you have any chance to work on that? What needs to be done and,
> what's the purpose?
>
> Thanks,
> Vincent
>
> <snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: New releases

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.

Re: New releases

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 16.12.2006 20:17:33 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> FYI: I've been wanting to work on the release for a while, but until now
> I haven't had much time and had to learn new things like PGP key signing
> and the release process at Apache. I should be able to allocate time for
> that next week.

Cool!

> Commons 1.1 needs to be released first. If I'm correct no further
> changes are awaited; there are some merging work to perform between the
> Trunk and the 1.1 branch and then we can tag and release.

Right. Tag from from the 1.1 branch, build the release, put it on
people.apache.org and vote on it here.

The only thing I'm planning on checking (trying tonight) is if the Maven
stuff works as expected. Otherwise, Commons 1.1 is good to go. Well, it
doesn't have much on the documentation side but there will be better
times sometime. :-)

> For Fop 0.93 we will have to define what needs to be absolutely done
> before releasing. I'm personally in favor of releasing as is because we
> can't wait more. It would be great to release before Christmas but
> that'll be tight IMO...

I'm ok with a release as is. Better that than nothing. Having that
before Christmas is probably not possible because of the vote duration
(72h).

> Vincent
>

> Simon Pepping a écrit :
> > On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 12:07:44AM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> >> ... putting off working on a FOP release ...
> >
> > Yes, I (and others) am putting off work on the xmlgraphics-commons 1.1
> > release waiting for you to move it forward. Do I understand that this
> > is ready for a release, and that you would be happy if we move forward
> > with it? If so, then the next thing to do is the xml-fop-0.93 release.
> >
> > Simon

Jeremias Maerki

Re: New releases

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.
On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 08:17:33PM +0100, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> FYI: I've been wanting to work on the release for a while, but until now
> I haven't had much time and had to learn new things like PGP key signing
> and the release process at Apache. I should be able to allocate time for
> that next week.
>
> Commons 1.1 needs to be released first. If I'm correct no further
> changes are awaited; there are some merging work to perform between the
> Trunk and the 1.1 branch and then we can tag and release.
>
> For Fop 0.93 we will have to define what needs to be absolutely done
> before releasing. I'm personally in favor of releasing as is because we
> can't wait more. It would be great to release before Christmas but
> that'll be tight IMO...

I will be available for help.

Simon

Re: New releases

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.
On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 01:14:40PM +0100, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> IMO, if we want to mark this FOP-release as production-ready, we
> might want to have a look at incorporating some of Richard Wheeldon's
> ideas (see Bugzilla 41044 and 41009), mainly the selective commenting
> out of unused properties. It's not that big a deal, since we can
> reactivate them later. FTM, all it will do is reduce memory usage in
> the FOTree, which benefits users that need to process huge FO documents.

Good idea.

Simon

Re: New releases

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Dec 16, 2006, at 20:17, Vincent Hennebert wrote:

> <snip />
> For Fop 0.93 we will have to define what needs to be absolutely
> done before releasing. I'm personally in favor of releasing as is
> because we can't wait more. It would be great to release before
> Christmas but that'll be tight IMO...

IMO, if we want to mark this FOP-release as production-ready, we
might want to have a look at incorporating some of Richard Wheeldon's
ideas (see Bugzilla 41044 and 41009), mainly the selective commenting
out of unused properties. It's not that big a deal, since we can
reactivate them later. FTM, all it will do is reduce memory usage in
the FOTree, which benefits users that need to process huge FO documents.

I'll have a look at this later next week.

Later,

Andreas

Re: New releases

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.
On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 08:17:33PM +0100, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> FYI: I've been wanting to work on the release for a while, but until now
> I haven't had much time and had to learn new things like PGP key signing
> and the release process at Apache. I should be able to allocate time for
> that next week.
>
> Commons 1.1 needs to be released first. If I'm correct no further
> changes are awaited; there are some merging work to perform between the
> Trunk and the 1.1 branch and then we can tag and release.
>
> For Fop 0.93 we will have to define what needs to be absolutely done
> before releasing. I'm personally in favor of releasing as is because we
> can't wait more. It would be great to release before Christmas but
> that'll be tight IMO...

I will be available for help.

Simon

Re: New releases