Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Nawab Zada Asad Iqbal <kh...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/01 00:20:12 UTC

Re: SolrCloud: Different replicationFactor for different shards in same collection

Thanks Erick

This is for future. I am exploring to use a custom sharding scheme (which
will require modification in Solr code) together with the benefits of
SolrCloud.

Thanks
Nawab

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
This feels like more work than necessary, especially the bit:
"which will require modification in Solr code".

If your needs are to co-locate various groups of documents
on specific nodes, composite id (the default) routing has
the ability to cluster docs together, see:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/shards-and-indexing-data-in-solrcloud.html
the "document routing" section. You can also route queries to
those shards only, see:
https://lucidworks.com/2013/06/13/solr-cloud-document-routing/

If that isn't sufficient, using "implicit" routing allows you to
send document to specific shards.

True, in both cases the _client_ has to assign the doc to a particular
shard based on whatever criteria you need, but that seems like less
work than changing Solr code.

Best,
Erick