Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/03 11:37:52 UTC

Re: ApacheCon EU Presentation Slides

Hey Peter,

On 6/28/06, peter royal <pr...@apache.org> wrote:

> Slides and example code are at http://people.apache.org/~proyal/

Your slides are extremely cool!  I have a few off-topic questions:

1. Where did you get these nice photos?  very cool!
2. What tool did you use to draw diagrams and to export the slides to PDF?

I love your style! :)

And of course, its content was superb, too!  I bet the audiences were
fascinated by your presentation. :D  How hot was the fever?  What questions
did you get?

For other people, here's Peter's blog post regarding the ApacheCon session
on MINA:

http://osi.fotap.org/2006/06/28/mina-apachecon-eu-2006-2/

Trustin

PS: Congratulations for being nominated as a member!
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6

Re: ApacheCon EU Presentation Slides

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Jul 3, 2006, at 6:11 AM, Luke Hubbard wrote:
> We do that now on for all sessions. Is it a bad thing to be using it
> for connections over internet not local lan? The packets we send are
> usually quite small under 1-2k, and latency is really really important
> to us. I think we have seen an improvement since using it, just want
> to check it if it has any side effects.

Be sure to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagle's_algorithm :)

I think your usage is absolutely fine. Another way to achieve the
same may be to drop down the MSS, but I'm not sure if we can do that
from within java (maybe some of the outbound buffers help control that)

-pete

Re: ApacheCon EU Presentation Slides

Posted by Luke Hubbard <lu...@codegent.com>.
Very cool indeed.

Thanks for posting these peter and for giving red5 a plug :)

One thing i noticed...

"For ultra-low latency with small message sizes on a local
lan, disable Nagle's algorithm; the TCP_NODELAY flag. "

We do that now on for all sessions. Is it a bad thing to be using it
for connections over internet not local lan? The packets we send are
usually quite small under 1-2k, and latency is really really important
to us. I think we have seen an improvement since using it, just want
to check it if it has any side effects.

Will show these slides to anyone new to mina.

- Luke

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.

http://flickr.com ... I searched for CC-licensed picks

Diagrams were done with <http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/
omnigraffle/> , and the presentation was done with Keynote <http://
www.apple.com/iwork/keynote/>

> I love your style! :)

thanks!!

> And of course, its content was superb, too!  I bet the audiences were
> fascinated by your presentation. :D  How hot was the fever?  What
> questions
> did you get?

A few about threads and memory usage, difference between heap/direct
buffers, then some performance related questions too. The room was
mostly-full, which was nice. Hopefully some more people will poke
their head in here because of it :)

-pete