Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by Alona Rossen <ar...@opentext.com> on 2010/02/01 17:38:57 UTC

configure scripts failure on Linux RH ES10 64-bit

Hello All:

Configure scripts terminated on 64-bit Linux RedHat with the following
error:

checking for an appropriate signed 16 bit integer type... configure:
error: Couldn't find a signed 16 bit int type

$> xerces-c-3.1.0> uname -a

Linux geniorh64 2.6.18-92.el5 #1 SMP Tue Apr 29 13:16:15 EDT 2008 x86_64

$> xerces-c-3.1.0> g++ -v

Using built-in specs.

Target: x86_64-redhat-linux

Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix
--enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit
--disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-libgcj-multifile
--enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,java,fortran,ada
--enable-java-awt=gtk --disable-dssi --enable-plugin
--with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj-1.4.2.0/jre
--with-cpu=generic --host=x86_64-redhat-linux

Thread model: posix

gcc version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)

$ ./configure CFLAGS=-m646 CXXFLAGS=-m64 LDFLAGS=-m64 -Xlinker
--export-dynamic -Xlinker --hash-style=sysv

Configure for xerces-c-3.0.1 ran successfully on the same box.

Regards,

Alona

Re: configure scripts failure on Linux RH ES10 64-bit

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi Alona,

Alona Rossen <ar...@opentext.com> writes:

> In the past I posted similar report for Solaris8. In Solaris8 case,
> specifying C compiler rectified the problem. In Linux case, removing
> additional parameters including compiler specifications "fixed"
> configure. Perhaps this 'configure' inconsistency on different platforms
> requires consideration.

If the default C/C++ compiler on your machine does not work or the
compiler options that you pass to configure are invalid, there is
nothing that configure can do. It just calls the C/C++ compiler
that you specified and passes the options that you provided.

That's why I suggested that you look into config.log. This file
contains more detailed information that in most cases quickly
reveals what's wrong.

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis        http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog
Open-source XML data binding for C++   http://codesynthesis.com/products/xsd

RE: configure scripts failure on Linux RH ES10 64-bit

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi Alona,