Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Oleg Dulin <ol...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/13 17:01:50 UTC

Cass 1.2.11 : java.lang.AssertionError: originally calculated column size

I am getting these exceptions on one of the nodes, quite often, during
compactions:

"java.lang.AssertionError: originally calculated column size of
84562492 but now it is 84562600"

Usually  this is on the same column family.

I believe this is preventing compactions from completing, and
subsequently causing other performance issues for me.

Is there a way to fix that ? Would nodetool scrub take care of this ?

Oleg Dulin
http://www.olegdulin.com

Re: Cass 1.2.11 : java.lang.AssertionError: originally calculated column size

Posted by Peter Sanford <ps...@nearbuysystems.com>.
The issue you should look at is CASSANDRA-4206.

This is apparently fixed on 2.0 so upgrading is one option. If you are not
ready to upgrade to 2.0 then you can try increasing in_memory_compaction.

We were hitting this exception on one of our nodes and increasing
in_memory_compaction did fix it.

-psanford

Posted by Tupshin Harper <tu...@tupshin.com>.
Scrub is very likely to resolve it.  Note that scrub will drop (and log)
invalid items,  so pay attention to what it logs and plan on doing a repair
afterwards to pull in a copy from a different node,  assuming RF>1

-Tupshin

Posted by Oleg Dulin <ol...@gmail.com>.