Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sergei Dyshel <qy...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/26 19:54:38 UTC

Downgrade repository's version (1.4->1.3) without losing local modifications

Hello,
I have a single checked out SVN repository, shared between 2 machines (lets
call them A and B). Until now I was using it only on A which has SVN 1.3
installed. Today I updated it on B which has version 1.4 installed. It
turned out that repository's internal structure's version was bumped from
1.3 to 1.4 and now I can't work with it on A.
Unfortunately I can't upgrade SVN's version on A (and can't even install my
local version of SVN) so I have to downgrade repository back to 1.3
somehow.
Is there a way to do it without losing numerous modifications I've done?
(and without committing too, I have read-only access...)
Sergei Dyshel

Re: Downgrade repository's version (1.4->1.3) without losing local modifications

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 15:54, Sergei Dyshel <qy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a single checked out SVN repository, shared between 2 machines (lets
> call them A and B). Until now I was using it only on A which has SVN 1.3
> installed. Today I updated it on B which has version 1.4 installed. It
> turned out that repository's internal structure's version was bumped from
> 1.3 to 1.4 and now I can't work with it on A.
> Unfortunately I can't upgrade SVN's version on A (and can't even install my
> local version of SVN) so I have to downgrade repository back to 1.3
> somehow.
> Is there a way to do it without losing numerous modifications I've done?
> (and without committing too, I have read-only access...)

Are you talking about a repository, or a working copy?

Re: Downgrade repository's version (1.4->1.3) without losing local modifications

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Wednesday 26 May 2010, Sergei Dyshel wrote:
> I have a single checked out SVN repository, shared between 2 machines (lets
> call them A and B). Until now I was using it only on A which has SVN 1.3
> installed. Today I updated it on B which has version 1.4 installed. It
> turned out that repository's internal structure's version was bumped from
> 1.3 to 1.4 and now I can't work with it on A.

Yes. Generally, don't share working copies.

> Unfortunately I can't upgrade SVN's version on A (and can't even install my
> local version of SVN) so I have to downgrade repository back to 1.3
> somehow.
> Is there a way to do it without losing numerous modifications I've done?
> (and without committing too, I have read-only access...)

There is one thing I would mention here: You are making obviously important
modifications without version control. Yes, even though you use SVN, _your_
numerous changes aren't versioned!

Solution A: If you can't change the repository because it is an upstream one
you simply don't have access to, you can still create a local repository and
import the upstream sources as a vendor branch. The documentation actually
covers this use case.

Solution B: If you can change the repository but you don't want, because your
changes aren't stable yet, you should create a branch. When eventually done,
you can then merge your changes back to trunk. It also makes it easier for
others to read and understand your changes when they are in small, separate
pieces if possible.

That said, don't share working copies. However, that first requires that you
have a repository that you can change in order to propagate changes between
the working copies, and for that either of the above two solutions work.

Good luck!

Uli

Sator Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland

Sator Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland
           Visit our website at <http://www.satorlaser.de/>
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Sator Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.

Re: Downgrade repository's version (1.4->1.3) without losing local modifications

Posted by Sergei Dyshel <qy...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for answers, of course I meant working copy
and mistakenly used term "repository".
Erik, I thought about solution you proposed but how can I deal with
added/deleted files? I have plenty of them...
Sergei Dyshel

Posted by Erik Andersson <ki...@gmail.com>.
What about:

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> On May 26, 2010, at 14:54, Sergei Dyshel wrote:
>
> > I have a single checked out SVN repository, shared between 2 machines
> (lets call them A and B). Until now I was using it only on A which has SVN
> 1.3 installed. Today I updated it on B which has version 1.4 installed. It
> turned out that repository's internal structure's version was bumped from
> 1.3 to 1.4 and now I can't work with it on A.
> > Unfortunately I can't upgrade SVN's version on A (and can't even install
> my local version of SVN) so I have to downgrade repository back to 1.3
> somehow.
> > Is there a way to do it without losing numerous modifications I've done?
> (and without committing too, I have read-only access...)
>
> You're talking about the working copy here, not the repository.
>
> I'm not aware of a way to downgrade the working copy format.

There is a script floating around somewhere that will do it.

BOb

Re: Downgrade repository's version (1.4->1.3) without losing local modifications

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.