Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2012/07/24 21:47:40 UTC

Announcing Flex

Hi Folks,

Carol officially attempting to post an official announcement of Apache Flex 4.8.0-incubating on the Apache announcement email list.  I will post something on the Adobe blog after I see it on the Apache website.

In the meantime, it seems like it would be great to get someone to update the Apache Flex home page to also announce the release.  Any volunteers?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Announcing Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/24/12 1:09 PM, "Nicholas Kwiatkowski" <ni...@spoon.as> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> This is on my to-do tonight.  If you have some verbiage that you want
> included, that would help :)

My personal thought was a banner across the home page with:

"Breaking News... Apache Flex 4.8.0-incubating is released!  Get it from the
downloads page and participate in the future of Flex."

Link to the download page and other getting started pages would be helpful.

Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.
http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

Re: Announcing Flex

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Alex,

This is on my to-do tonight.  If you have some verbiage that you want
included, that would help :)

I am also taking the task to update the text to say "Apache Flex™" this
evening as well.    I'm going to be compiling a few iOS AIR apps, so I've
got a lot of time to dedicate to it ;P

-Nick

Re: Announcing Flex

Posted by Keith Sutton <ke...@spoon.as>.
I will send out the announcement to all User Group Managers and Apache
Flex Partners (3rd party products and services)

Re: Announcing Flex

Posted by Keith Sutton <ke...@spoon.as>.
Updated the User Group list - 50 and counting

Pinged the UGM's that I have received interest from with the annoucement

Re: Announcing Flex

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Done.

Re: Announcing Flex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Announcing Flex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Not that I mean to add you your work load but these pages probably need updating as well:
http://incubator.apache.org/flex/news.html

And perhaps this just link back to the news page(s) rather than have the info in 3 places?
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Status

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Announcing Flex

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Re: Announcing Flex

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.

Sent from my mobile device.

On Jul 24, 2012, at 6:02 PM, "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com> wrote:

> While 4.8.0-incubating more descriptive than 4.8.0, I opted for the latter because it was shorter and more clear. I think more application owners would want to upgrade to 4.8.0 than to 4.8.0-incubating.

That's kinda the point. Application owners need to know they would be upgrading to a release that is still in the Apache Incubator. In theory, though highly unlikely, the project could go away at any time.

Re: Announcing Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

RE: Announcing Flex

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
Alex-

I received an e-mail from Keith Sutton because I am a SilvaFug subscriber. Keith is the Silvafug group moderator. It looks like he forwarded the message Carol sent to flex-dev@incubator.apache.org

Re: Announcing Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/24/12 1:22 PM, "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com> wrote:

>> In the meantime, it seems like it would be great to get someone to update the
>> Apache Flex home page to also announce the release.  Any volunteers?
>
> 1) Flex Community: Please tweet something about this - I have seen several
> tweets about it already.
> 2) I posted this content to the Apache Flex Developers Linkedin Group. Here is
> a link to the discussion: http://lnkd.in/Vvu4_E
Did you and Keith get these reviewed by Apache PR?  I still haven't found
Keith's post, but I think Scott's needs to say 4.8.0-incubating in the
subject.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

RE: Announcing Flex

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.

Re: Announcing Flex

Posted by Keith Sutton <ke...@spoon.as>.
Already posted to SilvaFUG

Included the following "For those new to Apache Flex and the open source
project the following presentations are very informative:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/pub?id=1SsVcr2SLkBJMXk1N6U3-HpxloSUUa4pBX-2f4GrRL5M#slide=id.p21
http://www.slideshare.net/tpokrajcic/apache-flex-enterprise-ready-gui-framework
http://www.slideshare.net/masuland/apache-flex-and-the-imperfect-web