Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rob Grundel <rg...@pittsh.com.au> on 2002/09/06 04:17:02 UTC

Strange Error

Hi,

I am having a very strange error @ the moment where I can access a servlet
on Tomcat (4.0.4 Standalone on WinNT) by directly typing the address of the
servlet into a web browser however if I access the servlet as a form
processor (action on a form) the browser tells me that "The page cannot be
displayed." (standard IE error)

I have checked everything in the web.xml file over and over again. Has
anybody else had this problem. Is it to do with host names. Please get back
to me quickly. It is kind of urgent.

Cheers

Rob Grundel
Software Engineer
Pitt & Sherry IT
rgrundel@pittsh.com.au
ph: (03) 63231931
mob ph: 0417762243

This email may be confidential and/or privileged. Only the intended
recipient may access or use it.
We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or
similar in any attachment.
Copyright in this email and any document created by Pitt & Sherry Consulting
Engineers will
remain vested in Pitt & Sherry Consulting Engineers and will not transfer to
you.
If you have received this email by mistake, please telephone (613) 6323 1900
(reverse charges),
or forward message to info@pittsh.com.au

Re: Strange Error

Posted by "Peter T. Abplanalp" <pt...@psaconsultants.com>.

Re: Strange Error

Posted by Randall R Schulz <rr...@cris.com>.
Rob,

If you don't want to use a better browser, you should at least reconfigure
your IE to give you more complete and accurate error mesages. I'm sure the
method varies from version to version of Windows and IE, but I'll tell you
how it's done on Win2K Pro with IE 6:

Open your "Internet Properties" control panel. This can be done in the
"Control Panel" folder in a Windows Explorer windo or via the "Control
Panel" sub-menu in your system's "Start" menu.

Once you have the "Internet Properties" control panel open, switch to the
"Advanced" tab (the right-most one). Look for the option "Show friendly
HTTP error messages" and disable it. What's friendly to a real person is
not necessarily friendly to a S/W developer...

If that doesn't disclose enough information to solve the problem, report
back with more detailed error messages.

By the way, if you're developing software for general public release or for
release to a user community not under some sort of single-browser dictate,
you should test your software with a variety of browsers. I use Netscape
4.7x, Mozilla and Opera and IE. That's a rather minimal set, actually. For
Mac users, there's iCab, too and in general there's a larger set of
browsers than many people realize. At least test on a few unless you know
your user community is using a restricted set of browsers.

Good luck.

Randall Schulz

At 19:17 2002-09-05, Rob Grundel wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am having a very strange error @ the moment where I can access a servlet
>on Tomcat (4.0.4 Standalone on WinNT) by directly typing the address of the
>servlet into a web browser however if I access the servlet as a form
>processor (action on a form) the browser tells me that "The page cannot be
>displayed." (standard IE error)
>
>I have checked everything in the web.xml file over and over again. Has
>anybody else had this problem. Is it to do with host names. Please get back
>to me quickly. It is kind of urgent.
>
>Cheers
>
>Rob Grundel
>Software Engineer
>Pitt & Sherry IT
>rgrundel@pittsh.com.au
>ph: (03) 63231931
>mob ph: 0417762243

>This email may be confidential and/or privileged. Only the intended
>recipient may access or use it.
>We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or
>similar in any attachment.
>Copyright in this email and any document created by Pitt & Sherry Consulting
>Engineers will
>remain vested in Pitt & Sherry Consulting Engineers and will not transfer to
>you.
>If you have received this email by mistake, please telephone (613) 6323 1900
>(reverse charges),
>or forward message to info@pittsh.com.au

Randy