Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> on 2010/01/09 06:00:26 UTC

Vote on hbase-0.20.3RC1

It's that time again!

Get hbase-0.20.3RC1 here:
http://people.apache.org/~jdcryans/hbase-0.20.3-candidate-1/

Install it, test it, check out the doc, try it with another version
than 0.20.0 (known incompatibility), and please report back with
+1/-1.

You can always review the jira report here: http://su.pr/16X1Cr

The vote closes on Saturday, January 16, 2010 at 12PM.

The HBase Team

Re: Vote on hbase-0.20.3RC1

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>wrote:

> This RC is sinked! Can we target next Friday for a new one?
>
> Yes.
St.Ack

Re: Vote on hbase-0.20.3RC1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Sounds good to me.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
This RC is sinked! Can we target next Friday for a new one?

J-D

Re: Vote on hbase-0.20.3RC1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Yes, I agree.

Re: Vote on hbase-0.20.3RC1

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Re: Vote on hbase-0.20.3RC1

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
-1

The new indexed contrib. is not properly packaged.  Its missing commons-lang
so it doesn't work in current RC (hbase-2112).  This is a little unfortunate
since we broke the rules adding this fat new feature.  It might as well work
after all that (I should have caught this missing lib issue).

I'd also like to get in hbase-2101, a fix for a dumb issue in
hfileoutputformat.

There are a few other little issues that it'd be nice to get into 0.20.3
since, IMO, there'll not be a 0.20.4 on this branch since focus is (has
been) 0.21.

Sorry for the hassle caused...
St.Ack

RE: revert of HDFS-127? (was Re: Vote on hbase-0.20.3RC1)

Posted by Zl...@barclayscapital.com.

> Do you have a reference for that?

Comments in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-784

According to
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-127?focusedCommentId=12798235&
page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#
action_12798235

it affects only the 0.20 branch.

Zlatin

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@gmail.com>.
> If we have to, we can call a new API which tells us when we dip below
wantedreplicas and close the file (if we can per Hairong's comment) and
reopen anew.

Yes, that's the idea.

Re: revert of HDFS-127? (was Re: Vote on hbase-0.20.3RC1)

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Is this so we can avoid having the DFSClient fall into an infinite loop in
the case where there are no more replicas, the reason for backing out
hdfs-127 from 0.20 branch?

If we have to, we can call a new API which tells us when we dip below wanted
replicas and close the file (if we can per Hairong's comment) and reopen a
new.  Any danger of running out of replicas in between calls to the new
method?

(But I like Ryan's comment up in the issue best, that DFSClient just handles
it for us)

St.Ack

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
I don't get it, why would HBase need to reopen the hfile?  Has it gone
bad? If it has, why would reopening help?

Or are you talking about resetting the state in the DFSClient by
forcing the end-client to know more about the namenode/client
internals?

This doesn't sound right... the DFSClient abstraction should leak this badly...

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Hi,