Posted to user@tika.apache.org by Dave Meikle <lo...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/09 23:53:08 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Hi Guys,

A new release candidate for the Tika 1.5 release is now available at:
http://people.apache.org/~dmeikle/tika-1.5-rc2/

This fixes the issues with the POM version numbers for tika-dotnet and
tika-java7 in Tika 1.5 RC1.

The release candidate is a zip archive of the sources in:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tika/tags/1.5-rc2/

The SHA1 checksum of the archive is:
f9a3c04dc3d1ce27742d0db7b8c171bbd89063b6

A staged M2 repository can also be found on repository.apache.org here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetika-1002

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Tika 1.5.
The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
least three +1 Tika PMC votes are cast.

   [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Tika 1.5

Here is my +1 for the release.

Cheers,
Dave

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 6:53 AM, David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> On 13 Feb 2014, at 11:44, Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>
> wrote:
>
> I am also baffled by the presence of the -original JARs; I don't think
> we should release them?  Or are we planning to?
>

> Sorry, this is my bad. The script I was using just copied the target folder
> contents up to people.apache.org.  I was not planning to release the
> -original jars, just the source ZIP and tika-app JAR alongside releasing the
> staging repository.

No problem!  I just wasn't sure what the plan was...

+1 to release; I ran "mvn test" after unpacking tika-1.5-src.zip, and
also smoke tested by running the Lucene in Action 2nd edition
manuscript (PDF and MS Word) through Tika and the resulting text looks
correct.

Thanks Dave.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

[RESULT][VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 9 Feb 2014, at 22:53, Dave Meikle <lo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Tika 1.5.
> least three +1 Tika PMC votes are cast.
>
>    [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Tika 1.5
>    [ ] -1 Do not release this package because...
>
> Here is my +1 for the release.

The vote passes as follows:

+1 Dave Meikle
+1 Julien Nioche
+1 Oleg Tikhonov
+1 Sergey Beryozkin
+1 Hong-Thai Nguyen
+0 Nick Burch
+1 Chris Mattmann
+1 Michael McCandless
+1 Ken Krugler

All voters are Tika PMC members.

I note Nick’s +0 due to that fact my new key has not been signed by anyone else. Assuming there is no objections on releasing with this given the signature if valid, I will push out the release.  I will also try to meet up with some fellow committers in the near future.

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
On 09/02/14 22:53, Dave Meikle wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> A new release candidate for the Tika 1.5 release is now available at:
> http://people.apache.org/~dmeikle/tika-1.5-rc2/
>
> This fixes the issues with the POM version numbers for tika-dotnet and
> tika-java7 in Tika 1.5 RC1.
>
> The release candidate is a zip archive of the sources in:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tika/tags/1.5-rc2/
>
> The SHA1 checksum of the archive is:
> f9a3c04dc3d1ce27742d0db7b8c171bbd89063b6
>
> A staged M2 repository can also be found on repository.apache.org here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetika-1002
>
> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Tika 1.5.
> least three +1 Tika PMC votes are cast.
>
>     [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Tika 1.5
>     [ ] -1 Do not release this package because...
>
> Here is my +1 for the release.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

+1

Sergey

--
Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders
http://coders.talend.com/

Blog: http://sberyozkin.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

+1 from me, SIGS, checksum check out:

[chipotle:~/tmp/apache-tika-1.5-rc2] mattmann% $HOME/bin/stage_apache_rc
tika 1.5-src http://people.apache.org/~dmeikle/tika-1.5-rc2/
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed
100 41.3M  100 41.3M    0     0   427k      0  0:01:38  0:01:38 --:--:--
405k
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed
100   819  100   819    0     0   3368      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
5496
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed
100    33  100    33    0     0    108      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
242
[chipotle:~/tmp/apache-tika-1.5-rc2] mattmann% $HOME/bin/verify_gpg_sigs
Verifying Signature for file tika-1.5-src.zip.asc
gpg: Signature made Sun Feb  9 14:10:22 2014 PST using RSA key ID 0EB30B07
gpg: Good signature from "David Meikle (CODE SIGNING KEY)
<dm...@apache.org>"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.
Primary key fingerprint: F3F2 3C1E DB33 8077 254E  DEEC 5241 4B0B 0EB3 0B07
[chipotle:~/tmp/apache-tika-1.5-rc2] mattmann%
$HOME/bin/verify_md5_checksums
md5sum: stat '*.tar.gz': No such file or directory
md5sum: stat '*.bz2': No such file or directory
md5sum: stat '*.tgz': No such file or directory
tika-1.5-src.zip: OK
[chipotle:~/tmp/apache-tika-1.5-rc2] mattmann%

Cheers,
Chris

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014, Annie Burgess wrote:
> I also live in a sort-of removed location - Anchorage, AK.  If anyone
> knows of any developers up north, I'd love to try to connect with the AK
> Apache community.

There are two main public places where Apache committers announce their
locations:
  * http://community.zones.apache.org/
  * http://people.apache.org/map.html
Sadly though, those seem to show your nearest public-location Apache
person is in Canada. Well, either there or Russia, google maps isn't that
great at giving a visual indication of relative distances at your
latitude...

The best option in such as case is to go to ApacheCon. It's roughly every
year, so it might be a bit of a wait, but there you'll find loads of new
committers to share your experiences with, and plenty of old hands to
learn from!

Otherwise, your next best bet is to find any open source group near you,
and join them. Some things can differ between open source communities
(licenses, languages, getting started), but some parts will be general.
So, if all you can find near you is a LUG or a PerlMongers group or some
Django-istas, it's better than nothing! Head along, learn from them, share
with them, and get what you can.

Oh, and one other thing - the party@apache.org list. If you're heading
somewhere more populous for any reason, drop a note to the party@ list,
and see if there's anyone where you're off to. You can often arrange to
meet up with some interesting people for a chat / drink / meal, where you
can learn both about Apache and where you're visiting. Last time I was in
central Europe, I ended up having Sunday lunch with a local tomcat
committer and all his extended family! Good chat about Apache, good chat
about the place I was visiting, so double win :)

Nick

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Annie Burgess <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi dev crew,

I also live in a sort-of removed location - Anchorage, AK.  If anyone knows
of any developers up north, I'd love to try to connect with the AK Apache
community.

Cheers,
Annie

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2014, David Meikle wrote:
>
>> Had a check on this and there isn't anyone local I can find for a quick
>> meet up.  I am based in Scotland but travel a bit, so will look out for an
>> opportunity to meet up with someone soon but doubt it will be in the coming
>> weeks.
>>

> Which bit of Scotland? I might know someone...
>
> Failing that, shout if you head down to the land of the Sassenachs, there
> are loads of us here who can help!
>
> Nick

*Annie Bryant Burgess, PhD*

Phone: 585.738.7549
E-mail: anniebryant.burgess@gmail.com <an...@gmail.com>

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Sun, 16 Feb 2014, David Meikle wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2014, at 22:24, Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org> wrote:
>> Which bit of Scotland? I might know someone…
>
> I am based in Edinburgh, so can get around quite easily if you know
> someone in the Central belt.

I'll see if I can track someone down. Lewis would've been a great option a
year or so back, as he was Glasgow based, but sadly he's now stateside
most of the time...

Oh, and I'm up in Edinburgh in late March, so we should arrange a mini
Tika get-together then to sign keys and talk about the project then!

Cheers
Nick

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

On 14 Feb 2014, at 22:24, Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org> wrote:

> Which bit of Scotland? I might know someone…

I am based in Edinburgh, so can get around quite easily if you know someone in the Central belt.

> Failing that, shout if you head down to the land of the Sassenachs, there are loads of us here who can help!

Will do. I used to be down in London most weeks but have changed job and travel more within Europe than the rest of the UK.

Cheers,
Dave

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Sun, 9 Feb 2014, Dave Meikle wrote:
> A new release candidate for the Tika 1.5 release is now available at:
> http://people.apache.org/~dmeikle/tika-1.5-rc2/

Any chance you could explain the difference between tika-app-1.5.jar and
original-tika-app-1.5.jar ? And if the latter is needed, is there a reason
why it wasn't gpg signed like the others?

The two release files which are GPG signed are only signed by a key which
is self signed, not part of the Apache Web Of Trust, nor any other Webs Of
Trust.

First choice - is there anyone near you in the "Apache Nearby People"
directory? http://community.zones.apache.org/ ? If so, please meet one of
them for a drink, and get your key signed at the same time! Failing that,
any Linux User Groups / Java User Groups / Hackspaces / etc in your area?
If so, pop along to one with your GPG key details, and get one or two
people there to sign your key.

Otherwise, hashes match, signatures match, tika-app jar runs fine, source
unpacks and builds without error, and license / notice files look long but
a few spot checks seem fine. So, I'm +0 pending the above

Thanks
Nick

RE: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Hong-Thai Nguyen <Ho...@polyspot.com>.
+1

Hong-Thai

+1 from me. Compiled fine on Linux Mint + tested Maven artefacts with
Behemoth and ran a parse without problems.

Thanks for doing this.

Julien

--

Open Source Solutions for Text Engineering

http://digitalpebble.blogspot.com/
http://www.digitalpebble.com
http://twitter.com/digitalpebble

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Oleg Tikhonov <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,
also tested on Windows 7 AMD 64, Lunix Ubuntu 13.10 Intel x86 64.
 [x] +1 Release this package as Apache Tika 1.5.

BR,
Oleg

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Re: [VOTE] Apache Tika 1.5 RC2

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
Hi Dave,

Downloaded, built and passed tests on my Mac.

Updated Tika version used by Bixo crawler to 1.5, then built/tested Bixo without problems, and ran some test crawls & content extraction without issues.

So +1 from me.

-- Ken

On Feb 9, 2014, at 2:53pm, Dave Meikle <lo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> A new release candidate for the Tika 1.5 release is now available at:
> http://people.apache.org/~dmeikle/tika-1.5-rc2/
>
> This fixes the issues with the POM version numbers for tika-dotnet and tika-java7 in Tika 1.5 RC1.
>
> The release candidate is a zip archive of the sources in:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tika/tags/1.5-rc2/
>
> The SHA1 checksum of the archive is:
> f9a3c04dc3d1ce27742d0db7b8c171bbd89063b6
>
> A staged M2 repository can also be found on repository.apache.org here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetika-1002
>
> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Tika 1.5.
> least three +1 Tika PMC votes are cast.
>
>    [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Tika 1.5
>    [ ] -1 Do not release this package because...
>
> Here is my +1 for the release.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Ken Krugler