Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Rod Mackenzie <Ro...@gtnet.com> on 2004/12/10 15:07:52 UTC

versioning

Hi,

I've been looking at the versioning api of Jackrabbit and trying it out
and now have a few questions. I can see that the api has methods to
label nodes and get versions back using a label, but what is the
equivalent of a CVS branch checkout? Is there a concept of branches in
Jackrabbit or have I missed it?

The spec says that the versionStorage is readable in all workspaces but
how does a new workspace get a working copy of the nodes that should
appear under the root node? I'm assuming the root node has no child
nodes after being created.

thanks,
Rod

This email (and any attachments) is private and confidential, and is intended
solely for the addressee. If you have received this communication in error
please remove it and inform us via telephone or email.

Although we take all possible steps to ensure mail and attachments are free
from malicious content, malware and virii, we cannot accept any responsibility
whatsoever for any changes to content outwith our administrative bounds.

The views represented within this mail are solely the view of the
author and do not reflect the views of Graham Technology as a whole.

Graham Technology plc                               http://www.gtnet.com

Re: versioning

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
hi rod,

> I've been looking at the versioning api of Jackrabbit and trying it out
> and now have a few questions. I can see that the api has methods to
> label nodes and get versions back using a label, but what is the
> equivalent of a CVS branch checkout? Is there a concept of branches in
> Jackrabbit or have I missed it?
even better, there is a concept of version-graph branches and merges
in the jsr-170 spec. as a graphic example you can go to
http://jcr.day.com and choose a versionable node and click the "versions"
button.
for a quick example of a "version graph" check this out....
http://jsr170tools.day.com/crx/ui/versionbrowse.jsp?Path=/pr-jsr-170-v0.13.1/docs/api/allclasses-frame.html

> The spec says that the versionStorage is readable in all workspaces but
> how does a new workspace get a working copy of the nodes that should
> appear under the root node?
> I'm assuming the root node has no child nodes after
> being created.
merge, update, clone bring existing nodes into a
workspace.
since workspace management & creation as
"repository admin tasks" are not specified in
jsr-170, it is up to the repository to eg. provide
"tag-based"-workspaces, that dynamically
populate the workspace with nodes from a repository.
[the basic mechanics should be provided with the
above methods though...]
this is most certainly something that would be a
welcome extension to jackrabbit.

regards,
david
standardize your content-repository !