Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Brian Demers <bd...@apache.org> on 2023/09/08 17:47:34 UTC

Prepping for a release, looking for Directory release guide

I've been working on getting SCIMple in release shape, but I've hit a few
snags along the way.
Mostly small things, or process related issues.
For example, there is an issue with generating the javadoc for the Spring
module because both the Spring dependencies and Glassfish have a split
package: org.aopalliance

Do we have release process guide, it looks like
https://directory.apache.org/apacheds/developer-guide.html might be a
little out of date (references to svn, ssh site deployment, etc), but I'm
assuming we want the process for SCIMple to be the same.
I can update that doc, but if we have something more current (for any of
the sub-projects) let me know!

In the past couple weeks I added checks for Apache RAT (license header
checking), PMD, SpotBugs/FindSecBugs, and found a few things with each.

My plan is to release a 1.0.0-M1 as soon as I can make it through a dry run
of the release process.

If you have suggestions/comments about anything mentioned above please let
me know!

-Brian

Re: Prepping for a release, looking for Directory release guide

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

a few changes:
- we don't anymore need the KEYS file at the top of the
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/directory area. See
https://people.apache.org/keys/

So you should be good using the key in
https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/
- I have created the
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/directory/scimple/ and
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/directory/scimple/dist/
directories

On 09/09/2023 17:14, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> [...]
>
> - release the staging repo on nexus
> - deploy the javadoc
> - update the site (CMS -> config.toml for the version,
> source/scimple/news.md for the annoucement, source/scimple/download.md
> and a few others)
> - update the apache reporter
> - announce the release to the world
>
> I think the part that needs some love is the CMS part, and I can help.
>
> If you like, we can have a quick life convo together so that I give you
> some clues about what needs to be done, its pretty tedious. Just let me
> know!
>
> On 09/09/2023 12:18, Shawn McKinney wrote:
>>

>>> On Sep 8, 2023, at 12:47 PM, Brian Demers <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been working on getting SCIMple in release shape, but I've hit a
>>> few snags along the way.
>>> Mostly small things, or process related issues.
>>> For example, there is an issue with generating the javadoc for the
>>> Spring module because both the Spring dependencies and Glassfish have
>>> a split package: org.aopalliance
>>>
>>> Do we have release process guide, it looks like
>>> https://directory.apache.org/apacheds/developer-guide.html might be a
>>> little out of date (references to svn, ssh site deployment, etc), but
>>> I'm assuming we want the process for SCIMple to be the same.
>>
>> The bits on maven and building the site are still accurate. What has
>> changed is the website and javadoc posting.
>>
>> It’s actually gotten much easier now that we’re using the HUGO CMS
>> system.
>>
>> There is a project, directory-site, that is where its artifacts are
>> stored.
>>
>> I maintain the fortress releases, and keep notes locally to follow.
>>
>> Not too far off of what’s published here:
>>
>> https://directory.apache.org/fortress/developer-guide.html
>>
>>> I can update that doc, but if we have something more current (for any
>>> of the sub-projects) let me know!
>>>

>> Again, anything specific to Hugo is not published that I know of.
>>
>> It’s repo: https://github.com/apache/directory-site
>>
>> Can easily deploy into a staging env but one is not maintained
>> currently for us. Changes to the repo publish automatically to the
>> prod site in about 15 minutes or so.
>>
>> If I have a bunch of changes, I’ll setup a test env to work on them.
>> We could do this with scimple, throw it on a vm.
>>
>> I have an ansible script for it:
>>
>> https://gitlab.symas.net/symas-public/ansible-apache-fortress/-/tree/master/ansible/roles/hugo?ref_type=heads
>>
>> Pretty straight forward. Just needs to be documented better.
>>
>> Happy to help.
>>
>> —
>> Shawn
>>
>>> In the past couple weeks I added checks for Apache RAT (license
>>> header checking), PMD, SpotBugs/FindSecBugs, and found a few things
>>> with each.
>>>
>>> My plan is to release a 1.0.0-M1 as soon as I can make it through a
>>> dry run of the release process.
>>>
>>> If you have suggestions/comments about anything mentioned above

*Emmanuel Lécharny - CTO* 205 Promenade des Anglais – 06200 NICE
T. +33 (0)4 89 97 36 50
P. +33 (0)6 08 33 32 61
emmanuel.lecharny@busit.com https://www.busit.com/

Re: Prepping for a release, looking for Directory release guide

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian, Shawn,

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.