Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Chaimaa LOTFI <ch...@amadeus.com.INVALID> on 2022/04/14 09:46:52 UTC

RE: [DISCUSS] KIP-613: Add end-to-end latency metrics to Streams

CONFIDENTIAL & RESTRICTED

Hello, I hope that you are doing well.
I have a quick question please, I created a Kafka streams dashboard which works well, expect that we got a negative latency for record end2end latency with this metric (kafka_streams_stream_processor_node_metrics_record_e2e_latency_min), I was looking why, while I saw in Thanos that it gives either NaN or a negative value! so I am still looking for that. Do you have any idea why?
Like we can't get a negative latency anyways, so what does this metric calculate exactly?
Thank you in advance!
Best regards

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.
Hi Chaimaa,

Interesting... That basis for those metrics is the difference between a record's timestamp and the current system time while processing it. I wonder if it's negative because of a difference in the way that the producer sets the records' timestamps versus the current time on the Streams instances? For the times that you see NaN, I believe that's expected when there have not yet been any data points measured in the metric yet.

I hope this helps,
-John