Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Andrew Williams <an...@handyande.co.uk> on 2009/10/22 19:06:41 UTC

Welcome message

Hi all,

I am loving felix but not the welcome message.
I looked at the code quickly but cannot see any way to customise this.
It seems a real shame that my customers would be greeted with a
message from felix - have I missed something?

Cheers in advance,
Andy

Re: Welcome message

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 10/22/09 15:46, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:

>>> Here we go: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-1797
>>>
>>> Let the improving begin. :-)
>>>
>> I think you misread my comment. The idea was we would have one simple
>> launcher that does NOT attempt to do everything for everyone, since it
>> would be a never ending list of features.
>>
> erm..okay, but how is it wrong to make it at least a little bit more
> extensible so that it does _not_ actually need to do everything?

It is not a question or right or wrong.

> Obviously there is only so much that one can do before, while or after
> launching the framework.

If all we are talking about is making the static Main.main() invoke an
instance method, then yes this would be pretty straightforward; however,
I fail to see how this is so much easier than just taking the two
classes in the Main subproject and including them in your own project to
do whatever you want with them. Either way you have to be intimately
familiar with what Main is doing, which is why we try to keep it simple.

> I don't really see much danger for
> kitchen-sink-syndrome here.

You think you're the first to ask for a feature to be added to the
launcher? :-)

-> richard

Re: Welcome message

Posted by Holger Hoffstätte <ho...@googlemail.com>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
>>> We have always expected people would create their own launchers for
>>> their own purposes. Now that R4.2 has standardized on the framework
>>> launching API, it makes more sense than ever to roll your own launcher
>>> (or build on ours).
>>>
>> Here we go: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-1797
>>
>> Let the improving begin. :-)
>
> I think you misread my comment. The idea was we would have one simple
> launcher that does NOT attempt to do everything for everyone, since it
> would be a never ending list of features.

erm..okay, but how is it wrong to make it at least a little bit more
extensible so that it does _not_ actually need to do everything?
Obviously there is only so much that one can do before, while or after
launching the framework. I don't really see much danger for
kitchen-sink-syndrome here.

-h

Re: Welcome message

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: Welcome message

Posted by Holger Hoffstätte <ho...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Welcome message

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 10/22/09 14:01, Sahoo wrote:

> Filippo Diotalevi wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Andrew Williams
>> <an...@handyande.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I am loving felix but not the welcome message.
>>> I looked at the code quickly but cannot see any way to customise this.
>>> It seems a real shame that my customers would be greeted with a
>>> message from
>>> felix - have I missed something?
>>
>> Hi,
>>  there's no property to configure the Welcome message, but the code
>> responsible for it it's not in the framework, only in the startup
>> class (contained in the "main" subproject).  All you need to do to
>> print your own welcome message is to re-implement the startup class.
>> Its code is quite simple and can be found at:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/main/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/main/Main.java
>>

>> Regards,
> I would not call that a simple class. It will certainly be better to
> have a property to customize the message.

I think it is fairly simple, but regardless the launcher is supposed to
be a simple example of a launcher, it is not supposed to be sufficient
for every purpose.

Re: Welcome message

Posted by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM>.
Filippo Diotalevi wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Andrew Williams <an...@handyande.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I am loving felix but not the welcome message.
>> I looked at the code quickly but cannot see any way to customise this.
>> It seems a real shame that my customers would be greeted with a message from
>> felix - have I missed something?
>>

> Hi,
>  there's no property to configure the Welcome message, but the code
> responsible for it it's not in the framework, only in the startup
> class (contained in the "main" subproject).  All you need to do to
> print your own welcome message is to re-implement the startup class.
> Its code is quite simple and can be found at:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/main/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/main/Main.java
>
> Regards,

I would not call that a simple class. It will certainly be better to
have a property to customize the message.

Thanks,
Sahoo

Re: Welcome message

Posted by Filippo Diotalevi <fi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Andrew Williams <an...@handyande.co.uk> wrote:
> I am loving felix but not the welcome message.
> I looked at the code quickly but cannot see any way to customise this.
> It seems a real shame that my customers would be greeted with a message from
> felix - have I missed something?

Hi,
 there's no property to configure the Welcome message, but the code
responsible for it it's not in the framework, only in the startup
class (contained in the "main" subproject).  All you need to do to
print your own welcome message is to re-implement the startup class.
Its code is quite simple and can be found at:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/main/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/main/Main.java

Filippo Diotalevi