Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Harald Kirsch <Ha...@raytion.com> on 2012/08/03 15:41:56 UTC

Problem with near realtime search

I am trying to (mis)use Lucene a bit like a NoSQL database or, rather, a
persistent map. I am entering 38000 documents at a rate of 1000/s to the
index. Because each item add may be actually an update, I have a
sequence of read/change/write for each of the documents.

All goes well until when just after writing the last item, I run a query
that retrieves about 16000 documents. All docids are collected in a
Collector, and, yes, I make sure to rebase the docIds. Then I iterate
over all docIds found and retrieve the documents basically like this:

   for(int docId : docIds) {
     Document d = getSearcher().doc(docId);
     ..
   }

where getSearcher() uses IndexReader.openIfChanged() to always get the
most current searcher and makes sure to eventually close the old searcher.

At document 15940 I get an exception like this:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: docID
must be >= 0 and < maxDoc=1 (got docID=1)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.document(SegmentReader.java:490)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryReader.document(DirectoryReader.java:568)
	at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.doc(IndexSearcher.java:264)

I can get rid of the Exception by one of two ways that I both don't like:

1) Put a Thread.sleep(1000) just before running the query+document
retrieval part.

2) Use the same IndexSearcher to retrieve all documents instead of
calling getSearcher for each document retrieval.

This is just a test single threaded test program. I only see Lucene
Merge threads in jvisualvm besides the main thread. A breakpoint on the
exception shows that org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryReader.document
does seem to have wrong segments, which triggers the Exception.

Since Lucene 3.6.1 is in productive use for some time I doubt it is a
bug in Lucene, but I don't see what I am doing wrong. It might be
connected to trying to get the freshest IndexReader for retrieving
documents.

Any better ideas or explanations?

Harald.

--
Harald Kirsch

Re: Problem with near realtime search

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.
Hey Harald,

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Harald Kirsch <Ha...@raytion.com> wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> now that I knew what to search for I found
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#When_is_it_possible_for_document_IDs_to_change.3F
>
> So that clearly explains this issue for me.
>
> Many thanks for your help.

no worries, the document ids are only fixed per segment (right now -
even that can change in the future) if you delete a document its ID is
still set but its marked as deleted. No you Merge two segments you doc
gets a new ID in the merged segment (it might happen that the ID is
the same for some segments but that is just an impl detail and not
generally true. if you add document and commit it you have a new
segment which is part of the index, yet if you do handle persegment
IDs in a collector you build a global ID that changes again with newly
flushed segments.

simon

Posted by Harald Kirsch <Ha...@raytion.com>.
Hello Simon,

> [...]

>>> 1) Put a Thread.sleep(1000) just before running the query+document
>>> retrieval
>>> part.
>>>
>>> 2) Use the same IndexSearcher to retrieve all documents instead of
>>> calling
>>> getSearcher for each document retrieval.
>>>
>>> This is just a test single threaded test program. I only see Lucene
>>> Merge
>>> threads in jvisualvm besides the main thread. A breakpoint on the
>>> exception
>>> shows that org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryReader.document does seem to
>>> have wrong segments, which triggers the Exception.
>>>
>>> Since Lucene 3.6.1 is in productive use for some time I doubt it is a
>>> bug in
>>> Lucene, but I don't see what I am doing wrong. It might be connected to
>>> trying to get the freshest IndexReader for retrieving documents.

Harald Kirsch
Raytion GmbH
Kaiser-Friedrich-Ring 74
40547 Duesseldorf
Fon +49-211-550266-0
Fax +49-211-550266-19
http://www.raytion.com

Re: Problem with near realtime search

Posted by Harald Kirsch <Ha...@raytion.com>.
Hello Simon,

> [...]

>> org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.doc(IndexSearcher.java:264)
>>
>> I can get rid of the Exception by one of two ways that I both don't like:
>>
>> 1) Put a Thread.sleep(1000) just before running the query+document retrieval
>> part.
>>
>> 2) Use the same IndexSearcher to retrieve all documents instead of calling
>> getSearcher for each document retrieval.
>>
>> This is just a test single threaded test program. I only see Lucene Merge
>> threads in jvisualvm besides the main thread. A breakpoint on the exception
>> shows that org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryReader.document does seem to
>> have wrong segments, which triggers the Exception.
>>
>> Since Lucene 3.6.1 is in productive use for some time I doubt it is a bug in
>> Lucene, but I don't see what I am doing wrong. It might be connected to
>> trying to get the freshest IndexReader for retrieving documents.

Harald Kirsch
Raytion GmbH
Kaiser-Friedrich-Ring 74
40547 Duesseldorf