Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/09 16:27:22 UTC

Re: [IMAP] Hibernate mailbox [WAS Re: Developer environment]

(apologies for being slow on this: my tendons in my shoulder became
inflamed and required rest)

On 8/18/07, Zsombor <gz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/12/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > IMHO the mailbox design suffers from being a compromise between a good
> > IMAP API and a good general API. the interface and implementation is
> > over-complicated but there are many features which are likely to be
> > IMAP specific in what was intended to be a general API.
>
> Yeah, i see that now. I've tried to understand the current TorqueMailbox
> stuff, the lots of listeners, and mappings, but finally i've just
> copy-pasted the relevant codes with some minor restructuring. When I will
> have more time, I definitely want to look into througly. The good news is
> that i've been able to finish my hibernate/spring based implementation, of
> course it's not very tested, and more experimental than the experimental
> modules of James :)

cool :-)

> However during my struggle with IMAP i fixed some bugs,
> made some improvements here and there (i've created JIRA issues about), so I
> think I'm reasonably successful in this case. I hope you can apply the
> patches.

i'm hoping to be able to become a more active again in the next few weeks

BTW it would be great if you could fill in a contributor license
agreement http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

> Currently I have just one IMAP related question. I see in the current
> implementation that there is a 'Namespace' conception (however most of the
> time it's hard coded), which is intended to provide some top-level grouping
> possibilities for mailboxes. So for example the administrator can create a
> #shared-dev namespace which every user can read/write. However from the
> code/and the incuded IMAP spec fragments, it's not clear how the clients
> will discover this  'namespace' things. I mean, the LIST command should only
> list mailboxes  from the specified 'reference', so for example LIST "" "*"
> will list from #mail.username.INBOX ... but not #shared-dev.anything. Am I
> misses some hidden commands, which not implemented yet, and neither
> Thunderbird, KMail nor Evolution ever call without some  server issued
> message?

i think this is covered by
http://james.apache.org/server/rfclist/imap4/rfc2342.txt but JAMES
doesn't support it yet. however, i suspect that some of the complexity
in the JAMES API in this area is a nod towards future support for
this. not sure that it's quite the way i'd do it, though.

- robert