Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Alexandru Sicoe <ad...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/29 19:35:06 UTC

Cassandra multi DC

Hello everyone,
 How are people running multi DC Cassandra across remote locations? Are
VPNs used? Or some dedicated application proxis? What is the norm here?

Any advice is much appreciated,
Alex

Re: Cassandra multi DC

Posted by David Schairer <ds...@humbaba.net>.
We built multi-DC right from the start -- two equal locations about 1000 miles apart but on the same provider backbone so there was reasonably robust and consistent connectivity between them.  We did this using software ipsec to set up tunnels between the private networks in each location, but we did this a year ago when SSL on cassandra connections wasn't viable yet.  Today I would drop the private networks and use SSL and certificate validation between nodes, as it'll be more reliable and reduce a layer of complexity.

As for multi-DC, we've seen _very_ little trouble and it's been a life saver on several locations when we or our provider needs to do major local maintenance or is suffering a DoS attack on the facility.  It lets you do several cheap DCs rather than one very expensive one.

--DRS

Re: Cassandra multi DC

Posted by Eric Tamme <et...@gmail.com>.
On 03/29/2012 01:35 PM, Alexandru Sicoe wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>  How are people running multi DC Cassandra across remote locations?
> Are VPNs used? Or some dedicated application proxis? What is the norm
> here?
>
> Any advice is much appreciated,
> Alex

No vpn for us.  We do it all over pure ipv6 circuits that limit access
at the router level.

-Eric