Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Paul Beckett <pa...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/25 12:05:03 UTC

[users@httpd] RequestReadTimeout not being overridden in VirtualHost

I am runnning Apache HTTP2.4.34 (built from source on RHEL6.10).

RequestReadTimeout is being set at the Server level:
RequestReadTimeout         header=5-10,MinRate=500 body=5-20,MinRate=500

I'm attempting to override RequestReadTimeout for a VirtualHost, I have
tried completely de-restricting it inside the VirutalHost with:
RequestReadTimeout header=0 body=0
and have also tried upping the body restriction in the VirutalHost:
RequestReadTimeout         header=5-10,MinRate=500 body=5-120,MinRate=500

Neither of these changes is working as I'd expected, and file uploads are
still timing out (408 response), after the twenty seconds specified at the
Server level. Increasing the value at the server level, causes it to work.

I've read the apache doc
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_reqtimeout.html , and thought
that this should work. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Re: [users@httpd] RequestReadTimeout not being overridden in VirtualHost

Posted by Paul Beckett <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Stefan for explaining this. I hadn't managed to find anything when
searching for my problem. Based on the general expectations / docs (
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_reqtimeout.html*)*, that isn't
the behavior I'd have expected.

Do you know if there has been discussion about this being applied at the
level of individual virtual host (selected by SSL) rather than the base
host?
Returning to the docs page, even with this knowledge, I still can't see
anything that makes how this is applied clear, do others think there would
be value in requesting the documentation is updated to explicitly define
how this applies to virtual hosts?

Thanks,
Paul

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
mod_reqtimeout uses the setting of the "base" host, not necessarily the virtual host selected by SSL.