Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by vn...@ca.ibm.com on 2002/06/07 23:46:56 UTC

array as a parameter

Hi,
I'm trying to develop a tag that accepts an array as parameter.  Does
anyone know what I need to do to have this work properly and use the
contents of this
array.

For example I would like to create a tag such as the one below.  And then
the tag will function by doing something such as matching 'home' to '86400'
and 'away' to '604800':

<mytaglib:list name="myname"  valueProperty="{86400,604800}"
displayProperty="{'home', 'away' }"/>

Common sense says that I just treat the parameter like any other array
(ie:see the set method below) but for some reason I get an error when using
the tag.

public void setValueProperty(String [] value){

     valueProperty=value;

}

(where valueProperty is defined as a String array)

If anyone could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vipan Nikore

Re: array as a parameter

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 vnikore@ca.ibm.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to develop a tag that accepts an array as parameter.  Does
> anyone know what I need to do to have this work properly and use the
> contents of this
> array.
>
> For example I would like to create a tag such as the one below.  And then
> the tag will function by doing something such as matching 'home' to '86400'
> and 'away' to '604800':
>
> <mytaglib:list name="myname"  valueProperty="{86400,604800}"
> displayProperty="{'home', 'away' }"/>

You cannot pass a Java array literal to a JSP tag.  You can either use an
rtexprvalue to pass the information to the tag for a pre-defined array, or
use JSTL's expression language (with a JSTL tag) to do the same
thing.  That is, either

  <% Object[] a = { ... } %>
  <mytaglib:list valueProperty="<%= a %>" />

or

  <c:forEach items="${myArrayFromAScopedVariable}"/>

--
Shawn Bayern
(coming in July 2002 from Manning Publications)