Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/29 22:09:08 UTC

Mavenizing Tomcat : Was: Osgifing Tomcat

Just a new thread to discuss about mavenizing Tomcat (OSGI Thread is
allready fully loaded and really interesting).

Costin told us he didn't want to change the current source layout.

Alternative to mavenizing tomcat could be :

- add subdirs (for modules) and pom.xml and hack the source files
filters to get only what's required.

- create a root pom and subdirs/pom.xml, and an ant task to fill a
mavenized targets directories where a standard maven build will be
done.

Any more ideas or advices ?

Regards

Re: Mavenizing Tomcat : Was: Osgifing Tomcat

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 22:09 +0200, Henri Gomez wrote:
> > Just a new thread to discuss about mavenizing Tomcat (OSGI Thread is
> > allready fully loaded and really interesting).
> >
> > Costin told us he didn't want to change the current source layout.
> >
> > Alternative to mavenizing tomcat could be :
> >
> > - add subdirs (for modules) and pom.xml and hack the source files
> > filters to get only what's required.
> >
> > - create a root pom and subdirs/pom.xml, and an ant task to fill a
> > mavenized targets directories where a standard maven build will be
> > done.
> >
> > Any more ideas or advices ?
>
> -1 for any change to the build in Tomcat 6.0.

I agree with Remy - adding a new directory and any xml/data  inside is
probably fine, but
adding support for Maven ( or Make or any other build tool ) shouldn't
require changes to
the current build - i.e. if you have to change build.xml or move files
around ( for the purpose
of supporting maven or any other tool ) - something is wrong with the tool.

Costin

Re: Mavenizing Tomcat : Was: Osgifing Tomcat

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Filip, this is a fairly rare case where I disagree with you ;)
>
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists
> <de...@hanik.com> wrote:
>
>>  simply because it requires changes, I like to think we work according to
>>

> It can be done without requiring any changes.
>

>> "if it aint broke, don't fix it", and since the maven build doesn't give us
>> anything the ANT build already does, then there seems to be little point of
>>

> It's easier.  That's it.
>

>>  I suggest you go back in the archives, the comments you'll see this time
>> around, will be the same when this issue was brought up last and was voted
>>

> Not true.  I, for one, spoke against it in the past.  Having used
> Maven 2 for 2+ years, I now prefer it over Ant.  Moreover, I can
> testify that it's saved me and my teams considerable time and resulted
> in more consistent and cleaner builds.  I haven't even bothered to
> subscribe to users@maven.a.o, much less dev@maven.a.o, I've just been
> a pure user and it's been cool.
>
> But like I said earlier, it's not worth disrupting the current Tomcat
> build or source layout.  Only if it can be done without requiring any
> changes, which it can.

correct, and if it doesn't add any value add, which is what the
discussion was before,
then it seems like just one more set of build scripts to maintain.

Filip

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Good Thanks

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
any Manolache wrote:
> BTW - can someone remove ever.sac@higienebeleza.com.br from tomcat-dev ?

being done now.

Mark

Re: Mavenizing Tomcat : Was: Osgifing Tomcat

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.
BTW - can someone remove ever.sac@higienebeleza.com.br from tomcat-dev ?

It's quite annoying, after each mail I get an auto-reply from them...  I
don't think I have karma to do it.

Costin

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Question :

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Aren't we in 'comit then review' mode for the trunk ?
Yes.

> My understanding was that RTC is in effect for the stable releases, but not
> the trunk,
> and if there is no controversy ( and so far I think the only major issues
> was
>  'don't touch file structure or break ant' ) - he can just submit.
Correct. I'd need more convincing to vote +1 to get it into one of the
release branches but for trunk - assuming no change to existing file
structure - go for it.

Mark

Re: Mavenizing Tomcat : Was: Osgifing Tomcat

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to all the rule changes - if someone
> could
> post the short version, I'm quite interested - I plan to re-start
> contributing few things and it
> would be good to know the process.

trunk is CTR - normal veto rules apply
all release branches are RTC needing 3 more +1s than -1s to get committed

Everywhere else is also CTR - again with normal veto rules although it
would have to be pretty drastic (eg license violation) to get a veto in the
sandbox.

There is also a summary here:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/TomcatVersions

HTH,

Mark

Re: Mavenizing Tomcat : Was: Osgifing Tomcat

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
>  This is just an alternative for those people who want to use a
>  slightly easier / user-friendlier build system.  We could do worse
>  than lowering the barrier to entry for new contributors.

The idea is to :

- keep the current source layout

- keep the build.xml

- add some subdirs with pom.xml

- add a pom.xml to the base, where an ant task will grab sources,
subdirs/pom.xml and assemble them in an alternative location before
building.

it's tricky and unusual in a maven world, but it will help maven users
to have quickly a running Tomcat from scratch.

No revolution here, not even evolution, just an alternative :)

Re: Mavenizing Tomcat : Was: Osgifing Tomcat

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 21:03 -0400, Yoav Shapira wrote:
> But like I said earlier, it's not worth disrupting the current Tomcat
> build or source layout.  Only if it can be done without requiring any
> changes, which it can.

I will still vote against any inclusion of Maven usage in TC 6.0, 5.5
and 4.1 (and for these branches only).

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Henri Gomez wrote:
>>  -1 for any change to the build in Tomcat 6.0.
>>

> Why ?

simply because it requires changes, I like to think we work according to
"if it aint broke, don't fix it", and since the maven build doesn't give
us anything the ANT build already does, then there seems to be little
point of it.
I suggest you go back in the archives, the comments you'll see this time
around, will be the same when this issue was brought up last and was
voted down.
In this case remy probably didn't explain his -1, cause it's been
discussed before. normally a -1 must come with a technical
justification, and there were several last time we discussed this.

Filip

Re: Mavenizing Tomcat : Was: Osgifing Tomcat

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Costin told us he didn't want to change the current source layout.

I agree with Coston on this.  But thankfully Maven is flexible in this
area.  You can define any set of source folders.

>  - add subdirs (for modules) and pom.xml and hack the source files
>  filters to get only what's required.
>
>  - create a root pom and subdirs/pom.xml, and an ant task to fill a
>  mavenized targets directories where a standard maven build will be
>  done.

I like the second idea, simplified further.  One Ant task in the root
build.xml to copy all the required files into a Maven-friendly
temporary directory structure and run the Maven build.  One pom.xml
file to actually do the Maven build in that Maven-friendly temporary
directory layout.

That way the original and current build system, source tree, etc, are
not touched at all.

Yoav