Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/01/09 21:34:14 UTC

SSL Certs for Tomcat and Apache (was RE: RewriteRules and Standalone Tomcat)

Neal wrote:
> Is that right?  The key we generated for Tomcat will also work on
Apache?!?!

> This is surpising (though a plesant suprise) because the method by which
we
> had to create the key for tomcat was different than what the admin had
> apparently done prior with Apache.
> Noel wrote:
> > Neal wrote:
> > > (b) I will have to get another $300 SSL cert from Trawte

> > Why?  The domain name isn't changing, and both Apache and Tomcat use
X.509
> > certs.  What's the issue?

The tools were different (openssl for apache, keytool for tomcat), but the
method should have been the same.  And the keys should be compatible, even
if you have to do some exporting and importing.  I haven't tried this
migration, yet, but I can't see any reason why it should not work fine.  If
you look at the Thawte site, they have instructions for migrating keys
between IIS and apache, for example.

	--- Noel