Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jeff Ramsdale <je...@earthlink.net> on 2003/03/14 23:42:34 UTC

[Patch] cocoon.bat issues

With recent updates of Cocoon 2.1-dev from CVS I haven't been able to get
the embedded Jetty to start up (Windows ME, j2sdk1.4.0). Turning echo on I
discovered 2 endless loops in cocoon.bat. Initially there were duplicate
gotPort and  gotWebapp labels; I changed the duplicate names.

I then received an error of: "The program issued a command but the command
length is incorrect." Checking out the file again I was confused by the
following code to set EXEC:

  if not "%EXEC%" == "" goto gotExec
  set EXEC=start "Cocoon" /D. /MAX
  :gotExec

I have no idea what this is supposed to do but it just didn't look right.
Forward slashes in a .bat file? So I deleted the code and references to
%EXEC in doServlet, doServletAdmin, and doDebug and everything seemed to
work fine. Any clues for me?

I've included my first Cocoon patch, generated with Eclipse. I didn't submit
to Bugzilla--let me know if I should--but I wanted feedback on the EXEC
issue before I went that far.

Jeff

Re: [Patch] cocoon.bat issues

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Jeff Ramsdale wrote:
> Duh, I've used command switches before in DOS! I guess I just didn't
> recognize THOSE switches, (not have moved to NT or XP yet) so I was thrown
> off. My bad! Fix works just fine.

Glad to hear that.

> I had another question I forgot to address in my original message. When
> starting up Jetty with cocoon.bat a message is displayed: "Use SHUTDOWN to
> close normally. Use [Ctrl]+[C] to abort abruptly."

this is a message output by the database shipped with cocoon. if you
remove that block the message goes away. Unfortunately, that message is
not configurable and we can't get rid of if :/

> Like many others, I used
> Tomcat before switching to Jetty; Tomcat has a startup.bat and shutdown.bat.
> Is this a legacy message? Or is SHUTDOWN a reference to using the NT/XP Task
> Manager to shut it down (missing from Windows ME)?

As I said, this has nothing to do with cocoon and appears in tomcat logs
as well. It's just that tomcat scripts redirect stdout and stderr to log
files.

RE: [Patch] cocoon.bat issues

Posted by Jeff Ramsdale <je...@earthlink.net>.
Duh, I've used command switches before in DOS! I guess I just didn't
recognize THOSE switches, (not have moved to NT or XP yet) so I was thrown
off. My bad! Fix works just fine.

I had another question I forgot to address in my original message. When
starting up Jetty with cocoon.bat a message is displayed: "Use SHUTDOWN to
close normally. Use [Ctrl]+[C] to abort abruptly." Like many others, I used
Tomcat before switching to Jetty; Tomcat has a startup.bat and shutdown.bat.
Is this a legacy message? Or is SHUTDOWN a reference to using the NT/XP Task
Manager to shut it down (missing from Windows ME)?

My understanding is that in my case I have to do a CTRL-C to shutdown the
Jetty process. I feel it's cleaner, though, the Tomcat way--where it spawns
another session and a startup/shutdown in process A opens and then closes
process B.

Ideas?

Jeff

Re: [Patch] cocoon.bat issues