Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu> on 2009/01/16 15:35:11 UTC

closed or resolved for Jira issues

I just noticed I've used "closed" for a few Jira issues and others have
used "resolved".

Here are the descriptions you see when you select to close or resolve and
issue:

Close - Closing an issue indicates that there is no more work to be done on
it, and that it has been verified as complete.

Resolve - Resolving an issue indicates that the developers are satisfied the
issue is finished.

I found this in a forum
(http://www.nabble.com/JIRA:-"closed"-vs-"resolved"-td13351086.html):

- -----------------
several people have asked about the difference between resolved and closed in
JIRA.  the idea behind this is that the programmer can resolve the bug when
he thinks it's fixed, and the reporter or QA team will close the bug when
it's confirmed.

obviously, we don't really have QA teams, and it's probably best not to rely
on users to close issues.  so, i've created a new scheme that removes the
redundant closed step entirely, just leaving resolved.  this will be the
default scheme for new projects, but if you want yours changes, please say.
- -----------------

Since we don't really have a QA team (separate from developers anyway), should
we just stop at resolved as well?

The concept of using both makes sense to me

bug filed -> open
developer fixes bug -> resolved
before release, someone looks at everything that's "resolved", after
successful test -> closed

Any thoughts?

Josh
- --
- -------------------------------
Josh Thompson
Systems Programmer
Virtual Computing Lab (VCL)
North Carolina State University

Josh_Thompson@ncsu.edu
919-515-5323

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: closed or resolved for Jira issues

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Fine with me.

Aaron

--On January 16, 2009 1:07:18 PM -0500 Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>
wrote:

> We need to decide how the "Fix Version" property is handled when
> resolving an issue.  A description of this property at:
> http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/v3.11/projects.html#versions
>
> Fix Version(s) - this is the version(s) in which the issue was (or will
> be) fixed. For instance, the bug affecting versions 1.1 and 1.2 might be
> fixed in version 2.0. Note that issues which do not have a Fix Version
> are classified as 'Unscheduled', as shown in the screenshot above.
>

> I'm thinking this property would always be set to the next unreleased
> version but I'm confused because the property can be multivalued.  What
> does everyone think of leaving this set to "Unknown" when a developer
> resolves an issue.  When the issue is tested before a version is
> released, the tester can set the "Fix Version".
>
> -Andy

Aaron Peeler
OIT Advanced Computing
College of Engineering-NCSU
919.513.4571
http://vcl.ncsu.edu

Re: closed or resolved for Jira issues

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Jan 16, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2009, at 1:58 PM, Josh Thompson wrote:
>

>> I'm thinking the reason the property can be multivalued is to allow
>> for fixes
>> when multiple major versions are being maintained.  For example,
>> say programX
>> maintains both 1.x and 2.x series releases.  Let's say they're most
>> recent
>> releases are 1.5 and 2.1.  They may have a bug that comes up that
>> affects
>> both 1.5 and 2.1.  So, the Affects Versions property would be set
>> to both 1.5
>> and 2.1.  Then, if it's a critical issue, they may release 1.5.1
>> and 2.1.1
>> that both contain the fix, requiring that the Fix Versions property
>> be set to
>> both 1.5.1 and 2.1.1.
>
> Right.
>

>> Since we're not maintaining more than one series of release, I'd
>> say we just
>> go ahead and set it to the next unreleased version when the issue is
>> resolved.
>
> Sounds good to me.

Works for me as well.  Now as punishment for taking the initiative
would you mind putting this into the wiki?  :D

Regards,
Alan

Re: closed or resolved for Jira issues

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 16, 2009, at 1:58 PM, Josh Thompson wrote:

> I'm thinking the reason the property can be multivalued is to allow
> for fixes
> when multiple major versions are being maintained.  For example, say
> programX
> maintains both 1.x and 2.x series releases.  Let's say they're most
> recent
> releases are 1.5 and 2.1.  They may have a bug that comes up that
> affects
> both 1.5 and 2.1.  So, the Affects Versions property would be set to
> both 1.5
> and 2.1.  Then, if it's a critical issue, they may release 1.5.1 and
> 2.1.1
> that both contain the fix, requiring that the Fix Versions property
> be set to
> both 1.5.1 and 2.1.1.

Right.

> Since we're not maintaining more than one series of release, I'd say
> we just
> go ahead and set it to the next unreleased version when the issue is
> resolved.

Sounds good to me.

--kevan

Re: closed or resolved for Jira issues

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: closed or resolved for Jira issues

Posted by Brian Bouterse <bm...@ncsu.edu>.
Sounds good to me too.  I vote yes to the suggested use below.

-Brian

Brian Bouterse
Secure Open Systems Initiative
919.698.8796

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Sounds good to me.
-Andy

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
In case it wasn't clear - just realized you had a question...

I was voting yes to using both resolved and closed - as in your scenario:

>> bug filed -> open
>> developer fixes bug -> resolved
>> before release, someone looks at everything that's "resolved", after
>> successful test -> closed

-A

--On January 16, 2009 10:07:04 AM -0500 Aaron Peeler

Posted by John Bass <jc...@gmail.com>.
I agree. Adding the closed state can always be done later if it's needed...

John Bass
john_bass@ncsu.edu
www.cnl.ncsu.edu
(919) 515-0154