Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/11 01:29:09 UTC

[VOTE] Release pool 1.5.7 based on RC3

This is a patch release, including a couple of bug fixes.

The release artifacts are here:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/

Release notes:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

Maven distribution:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/maven

Site:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/docs
(Links, including an added link to the released API docs, will be
updated post release)

Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_1_5_7_RC3

Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72 hours, 14-DEC-01:00 GMT.

[ ] +1 I support this release
[ ] +0 OK, but...
[ ] -0 Not happy about this because...
[ ] -1 I oppose this release

Thanks!

Phil

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 1.5.7 based on RC3

Posted by ma...@apache.org.
Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Here is my +1
>
>Could use a couple of more so the bug fixes can go out and we can
>proceed to a patch release for [dbcp] 1.3/1.4.
>
>Phil
>
>On 12/10/11 5:29 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
>> This is a patch release, including a couple of bug fixes.
>>
>> The release artifacts are here:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/
>>
>> Release notes:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>
>> Maven distribution:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/maven
>>
>> Site:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/docs
>> (Links, including an added link to the released API docs, will be
>> updated post release)
>>
>> Tag:
>>
>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_1_5_7_RC3
>>
>> Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72 hours, 14-DEC-01:00 GMT.
>>
>> [ ] +1 I support this release
>> [ ] +0 OK, but...
>> [ ] -0 Not happy about this because...
>> [ ] -1 I oppose this release
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Phil

+1

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 1.5.7 based on RC3

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Here is my +1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/11 6:28 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> This is a patch release identical to 1.5.6  other than the two bug fixes
> >> in the release notes.  I see no reason to add artifacts.

> >> There were no API changes.

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_1_5_7_RC3
> >> That is intentional.  Avoids some issues generating artifacts.  Again,
> >> this is just a patch release on a maintenance branch. No reason to mess
> >> with a working build.
> >>
> > "working", yes on Maven 2, but not on Maven 3:
> >
> > [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> > org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.0-beta-3:site (default-site)
> > on project commons
> > to parse configuration of mojo
> > org.codehaus.mojo:findbugs-maven-plugin:1.2:findbugs for parameter
> > localRepository: Abstract
> > .artifact.repository.DefaultArtifactRepository' cannot be instantiated ->
> > [Help 1]
> >
> > Apache Maven 3.0.3 (r1075438; 2011-02-28 12:31:09-0500)
> > Maven home: C:\Java\apache-maven-3.0.3\bin\..
> > Java version: 1.6.0_29, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
> > Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_29\jre
> > Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252
> > OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"
> > C:\temp\commons-pool-1.5.7-src>set java_home=%java_7_home%
> >
> > It's nice to touch as little as possible in production code for a
> > maintenance release, but the build should be OK to move forward IMO.
> > Especially when you cannot even build on M3. I also like the consistency
> of
> > a current releases using the current parent POM.
>
> No.  Maven and maven plugins make incompatible changes regularly.
> We can't possibly expect our releases to work with future
> incompatible changes in maven or maven plugins.
>
> I see no reason to reengineer the build between 1.5.6 and 1.5.7 on a
> maintenance branch.  Is there anything wrong with the release
> artifacts or code?

Nope, the production bits are working.

I do not look at this as a right or wrong. I just ask myself "Is this the
best I can do?" For me, personally, that would be "no". Different strokes
for different folks :)

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 1.5.7 based on RC3

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

On Dec 10, 2011, at 6:31 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 December 2011 00:29, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is a patch release, including a couple of bug fixes.
>>
>> The release artifacts are here:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/
>>
>> Release notes:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>
>> Maven distribution:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/maven
>
> There's no test jar - I thought we were going to try providing those?
> I think that is one of the added features in the CP 22 release profile.

This is a patch release identical to 1.5.6  other than the two bug fixes in the release notes.  I see no reason to add artifacts.

>> Site:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/docs
>> (Links, including an added link to the released API docs, will be
>> updated post release)
>
> It would be nice to have a Clirr report for the differences from 1.5.6
> as well as from 1.5.
> Dunno if that is possible

There were no API changes.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

{RESULT} [VOTE] Release pool 1.5.7 based on RC3

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
This vote has passed, with +1 votes from
psteitz
luc
grobmeier
joerg
+0 votes from
sebb
ggregory
and not other votes.

Thanks to all who reviewed the RC.

I am traveling with limited access the next couple of days, so I
will wait to move publish the release until this weekend.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/11 11:21 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> FYI: Commons parent makes sure that M2 and M3 works, if you use a recent CP
>>> version that is.
>> Thanks for the hint, didn't know it. Actually now I think components
>> should always upgrade to the recent cp before a new release.
>> I still give +1, but would love to see pool upgrading to recent cp
>> with the next release, if possible.
>
> The 2.0 branch will use whatever the latest build is, unless we
> decide to do something radical like dump the parent or maven
> altogether ;)
>
> I would like to keep the 1.5.x maintenance branch stable in any case.

Makes sense to me :-)

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 1.5.7 based on RC3

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1

checked sigs, site, opened all that stuff, runned test... looks all ok so far.
Not providing a test jar is ok for me (or is this a Commons poilicy??
have missed it somehow) as I can run the tests from the provided src
package.

On Garys comments with M2/M3:
Tests can be run from the source package, which I have with Maven
3.0.3 (and with success :-))

I think building site is not so important as running tests. For
building the site with M3 one must adjust the pom file - I am not sure
if it would run with M2 then. Anyway, I think it is more the question

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 1.5.7 based on RC3

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 12/12/2011 23:03, Phil Steitz a écrit :
> One more day on this...
>
> Anyone else willing to vote?
>
> Phil
>
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is a patch release, including a couple of bug fixes.
>>
>> The release artifacts are here:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/
>>
>> Release notes:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>
>> Maven distribution:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/maven
>>
>> Site:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/docs
>> (Links, including an added link to the released API docs, will be
>> updated post release)
>>
>> Tag:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_1_5_7_RC3
>>
>> Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72 hours, 14-DEC-01:00 GMT.
>>
>> [X] +1 I support this release

Luc

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
One more day on this...

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/13/11 3:34 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
>> This is a patch release, including a couple of bug fixes.
>>
>> The release artifacts are here:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/
>>
>> Release notes:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>
>> Maven distribution:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/maven
>>
>> Site:
>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool-1.5.7-rc3/docs
>> (Links, including an added link to the released API docs, will be
>> updated post release)
>>
>> Tag:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_1_5_7_RC3
>>
>> Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72 hours, 14-DEC-01:00 GMT.
>>
>> [ ] +1 I support this release
>> [ ] +0 OK, but...
>> [ ] -0 Not happy about this because...
>> [ ] -1 I oppose this release
> +1
>
> Builds fine from source for my compiler zoo containing versions from 1.4.2
> to 7 on Linux/64. However, I really wished that every run would not take
> minutes to complete...
Agreed.  We should see if we can find faster ways to manifest the
various concurrency bugs that led to the long-running tests.

Thanks for testing!

Phil

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.