Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Peter Gervai <gr...@tolna.net> on 2002/12/17 15:13:09 UTC

svn.collab.net?

Hello,

Apologise if this is a known issue, or it's usual, or it's some other way
embarrassing to ask, but is it normal that svn.collab.net is inaccessible
and its dns servers are defunct? this supposed to hold the subversion repo
as far as I know (and the links on subversion.tigris.org).

If it's a known thing where should I look for info next time? If it's not,
what happened?

thanks,
Peter

Re: svn.collab.net?

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 04:13:09PM +0100, Peter Gervai wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Apologise if this is a known issue, or it's usual, or it's some other way
> embarrassing to ask, but is it normal that svn.collab.net is inaccessible
> and its dns servers are defunct? this supposed to hold the subversion repo
> as far as I know (and the links on subversion.tigris.org).
>
> If it's a known thing where should I look for info next time? If it's not,
> what happened?

I don't know if it's a "known thing," but I can't get there either:

$ host -t ns collab.net.
collab.net          	NS	ns3.collab.net
collab.net          	NS	ns1.collab.net
collab.net          	NS	ns2.collab.net
$ host ns1.collab.net.
ns1.collab.net      	A	64.125.134.21
$ host ns2.collab.net.
ns2.collab.net      	A	64.125.178.141
$ host ns3.collab.net
ns3.collab.net      	A	63.211.145.15
$ host -t a svn.collab.net 64.125.134.21
svn.collab.net A record not found at iceblink.sfo.collab.net, server failure
$ host -t a svn.collab.net 64.125.178.141
Nameserver panic.nyc.collab.net not responding
svn.collab.net A record not found at panic.nyc.collab.net, try again
$ host -t a svn.collab.net 63.211.145.15
Nameserver collapse.sfo.collab.net not responding
svn.collab.net A record not found at collapse.sfo.collab.net, try again

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

Re: svn.collab.net?

Posted by Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org>.
Scott Lamb wrote:
> Or are they misconfigured to be
> more dependent on the master than they should be?

Ahh, the answer occurred to me right after I sent the message. I bet no
one's told these machines they are slaves for that zone or no one's told
the master that these machines are allowed to AXFR. Then they would not
have the zone file and be unable to respond when the master is down.

Scott

Re: svn.collab.net?

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:45:28AM -0600, Scott Lamb wrote:
> Michael Wood wrote:
> >On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 04:55:02PM +0100, Peter Gervai wrote:
> >
> >>I got this reply in email:

> >>And the page says:
> >><quote>
> >>(Some people have reported DNS lookup errors for `svn.collab.net'.
> >>The IP address is 216.127.237.133, in case you should need it.)
> >></quote>
> >>
> >>I would think having backup NS is cheap nowadays. [Naturally I can
> >>offer slave servers (as probably most of us can), if anyone at
> >>collab.net/subversion team would need it.]
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> >Extra slave servers aren't going to help much...  They have two slaves.
> >All three authoritative servers were broken.
>
> All four, actually:
>
>    NS1.COLLAB.NET               64.125.134.21
>    NS2.COLLAB.NET               64.125.178.141
>    NS3.COLLAB.NET               63.211.145.15
>    NS.HYPERREAL.ORG             209.237.226.90

hmmm... I only see three:

$ host -t ns collab.net
collab.net          	NS	ns3.collab.net
collab.net          	NS	ns1.collab.net
collab.net          	NS	ns2.collab.net

Wait a second.  I see the CNAME is resolving...  it's
morbius.ch.collab.net that's not resolving:

$ host -t cname svn.collab.net
svn.collab.net      	CNAME	morbius.ch.collab.net
$ host -t ns ch.collab.net
ch.collab.net       	NS	ns1.sp.collab.net
ch.collab.net       	NS	ns2.sp.collab.net

I can get to ns2.sp.collab.net, but not ns1.sp.collab.net.  Maybe the
zone is set to expire too quickly, so when ns1 disappears, ns2 can't
resolve the names for very long afterwards?

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

Re: svn.collab.net?

Posted by Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org>.
Michael Wood wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 04:55:02PM +0100, Peter Gervai wrote:
>
>>I got this reply in email:
>>

>>>http://subversion.tigris.org/project_source.html
>>>You'll find the IP address there.
>>
>>And the page says:
>><quote>
>> (Some people have reported DNS lookup errors for `svn.collab.net'.
>> The IP address is 216.127.237.133, in case you should need it.)
>></quote>
>>
>>I would think having backup NS is cheap nowadays. [Naturally I can
>>offer slave servers (as probably most of us can), if anyone at
>>collab.net/subversion team would need it.]
>
> [snip]
>
> Extra slave servers aren't going to help much...  They have two slaves.
> All three authoritative servers were broken.

All four, actually:

    NS1.COLLAB.NET               64.125.134.21
    NS2.COLLAB.NET               64.125.178.141
    NS3.COLLAB.NET               63.211.145.15
    NS.HYPERREAL.ORG             209.237.226.90

How could they all fail at once? I mean, this is why the slaves exist,
so they can respond if the master goes down. If they go down at the same
time, no goodness. php.net's four servers also failed me earlier today.
(I did "dig @theserver cvs.php.net" for each, none gave an answer.) Is
this just really weird luck? (Should I buy a lotto ticket?) Or are the
slaves in the same room as the master? Or are they misconfigured to be
more dependent on the master than they should be?

I could also offer backup DNS, if there's something wrong with these slaves.

Scott

Re: svn.collab.net?

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 04:55:02PM +0100, Peter Gervai wrote:
> I got this reply in email:
>
> > http://subversion.tigris.org/project_source.html
> > You'll find the IP address there.
>
> And the page says:
> <quote>
>  (Some people have reported DNS lookup errors for `svn.collab.net'.
>  The IP address is 216.127.237.133, in case you should need it.)
> </quote>
>
> I would think having backup NS is cheap nowadays. [Naturally I can
> offer slave servers (as probably most of us can), if anyone at
> collab.net/subversion team would need it.]
[snip]

Extra slave servers aren't going to help much...  They have two slaves.
All three authoritative servers were broken.

It's resolving now, though.

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

Re: svn.collab.net?